Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my brother in laws 57 chev truck that I've installed a sbc and 700r4 into. His boys got him a set of VDO gauges for it for Xmas. I told them what we were working with before they bought the gauge kit but I want to make sure this speedo is right before I start hooking it up. I have no confidence in the guy that my nephews ordered the kit from. He gets a lot of stuff wrong.

The 700r4 is originally out of an 88 V6 Astro and it has one of those GM ratio adapters on it that slows the speedo cable down 26.7%. I'm wondering if I should take it off, leave it on or does it really matter?

The VDO kit came with a hall effect sensor to run the speedo. There's no part number on it or the box but there's a sticker on the wire attached to it that says V1511010056A. Are there different sensors for different trannys? I want to make sure this one is correct.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no VDO site for their gauges

I went to the VDO Seimans site. I don't think they have any info there on their automotive gauges. I think they leave it up to their vendors to supply info on their custom automotive gauges, which is too bad because all the sites I visited did a poor job of covering their gauges.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My VDO guage set should be here any day now. When I ordered it , I had to spcify what trans. I had and seen different part #'s for different adapters.I understand that you put it directly into the trans. then calibrate it when it's drivable. What part of Manitoba are you from? I'm west of Brandon about 40 miles. Jim.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Brandon. You must be near Virden.
The hall effect sensor they sent just screws onto the tranny where the speedo cable normally goes and then there's wires coming off of it that go to the speedo. I've probably got the right one but I got nervous when one site I saw said there are 4 different sensors you can buy. Maybe the different sensors have different threads for different makes of tranny?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts