Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Deuce,
I didn't want to hijack the Axle Width thread but, I saw you pics there and I'm interested in your spring use. Coil overs just seem to be choppy. I'm buildin' a '34 Ford coupe and was going to use a Cornhusker's '40 buggy spring with a Pete&Jake style ladder bar setup. The 16 gal.fuel tank and the battery are in the trunk. I guess that a'34 is maybe a couple pounds heavier than a '32 but, not by much.
Is there a noticeable difference between the Vega coils and a buggy spring?
What is the compressed distance of your Vega coil springs at ride height?
Are you using new ones?
Brand and part number?
If a coil was cut off to make them a little shorter do you think that they would still be stiff enough to work OK?
Thanks in advance,Smokey

·
Registered
173 Posts
>If a coil was cut off to make them a little shorter do you think >that they would still be stiff enough to work OK?
>Thanks in advance,Smokey

Actually, removing a coil would raise the spring rate, thus making them stiffer.

Bob

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:)

A little known fact is that the Vega springs come in 7 or 8 different spring rates.

1) early Vega notchback ... 4 cylinder plain car ... is the lightest
and what is under the 32 roadster ...

2) Vega GTs ...

3) Vegas with A/C

4) Vega wagons ...

5) V8 Monzas

6) V8 Monzas with A/C

And so on ... :)

I was a dirt track racer years ago ( Late Model Sportsman ... and YES I won a few :D :D ) ... and a few of my friends still are so ... I use their spring rate checker ...

Some of the GM smaller front wheel drive vehicles use the same diameter coil spring so stiffer springs are out there ... all from the salvage yard.

I have a friend with the same coil spring set up I have under a all steel 34 Ford 3W coupe and we used a set from a Monza hatchback. Works great.

Cutting coils is not really the way to go IMHO ... because for every coil you cut ... the spring rates goes up 15 to 25 per cent ... or that's what I found with the coil spring rate checker.

·
Registered
130 Posts
vega vrs chevette

I have a set of early 80's chevette (4 door) rear coil springs...would these be a poor choice for a rear axle set up on a 31- 5 window coupe..i was thinking that the coupe wouldnt seem to be heavier that a chevette and that they would work. I would rather ask some one with spring experience that just go and mount them up then hope for the best...any info appreciated...

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
It seems like a good choice .. or guess ...

If they are too much ... I would imagine a 2 door Chevette would have lighter springs ...

:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
well my coupe is scheduled for a big block ford in it...that would make the nose heavy but it would still add weight overall to the car...so that is why i thought the coupe and chevette might be close....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts