Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today I started my old plow truck to be sure we were ready for incoming.
Distracting results. Started it on a tank that had maybe a gallon of very old gas (5) yrs.? Added 5 gallons of gas, put in 1/3 bottle of 103 octane booster, put some Gummout cleaner, & most of a bottle of heet drygas. ran rough at first as always, run this truck only when needed, sits for months. Got another 5 of fresh gas, started up again, the thing idles @ 3g now. (***)?
Truck has afairly new 350 crate engine, less than 4000 mi. I have 194 heads, holley 570, air gap manifold and a pair of Hookers.
Have I juiced up the gas too much? I wd "d the hell out of choke linkage, backed off the idle screw all the way.
I didn't think i tightened the v/c's THAT much:eek::confused:

Any ideas?

Thx Paiken

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
Tightened the "v/c's"? What are you referring to?

Have you looked down the carb to verify the throttle plates in the correct position at idle? Checked around for vacuum leaks around the carb, vacuum advance hose not cracked, all orifices on the carb either utilized or capped off? Is the high idle cam pulling off all the way?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
vacuum leaks..

power brake booster blown...

vacuum hoses chewed open by rodents... including the modulator hose to the transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V/C= Valve covers= kidding/joke

Thanks for the throttle plate suggestion. the secondaries were stuck cracked open. I knew it wasn't too much wrong as everything is so new and hadbeen working fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts