Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Aspiring eccentric
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a line on what I was told is a 1962 283 out of a Vette. The motor has a complete Tri-power intake and cast aluminum valve covers. I've looked around trying to find basic info, like hp ratings on this motor and found a web source that leads me to believe that the 283 with the Tri-poer wasn't offered in a '62 Vette.

Anyone have any better or different info/sources to help answer some of my questions?

Thanks,
Lee

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Chevy never made a 3X2 for a small block. There were some like Smokey Yunick who got ahold of one for test reason in the hey day of trans am racing, but it wasn`t as powerful as 2X4 cross ram so it was dropped.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Vette info

Single 4 bbl, dual 4 bbls, and fuel injection were the only options from the factory, Vette or otherwise.

The 283 was not offered in the Vette in 1962, only various stages of the 327 were available.

250 HP W/ 4bbl
300 HP W/ 4bbl
340 HP W/ 4bbl
360 HP W/ FI

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Vette info

A 348 intake wouldnt fit on a 283, or any small block engine. There were lots of aftermarket 3 duece setups made over the years, and are still made in considerable quantity.

To the best of my knowledge, the only Chevy engines offered with 3 dueces from the factory were the 348, which was never offered in the Corvette, and the 435 HP 427.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.