Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get one of thos vibrating polishing machines, but not sure what media to get.

What would be best to polish new nuts and bolts?

·
Trique Manufacturing
38 Posts
Stainless steel?

If nuts and bolts is all you are going to do I may have a suggestion for you. We bought a vibratory tumbler and have tried a few different medias, but they take so long. I am not discrediting them, I know a lot of people that get great results from them. It just takes a little more time than we want to spend on some parts. I have done some research on electro-polishing and we actually purchased a small kit and experimented with it a little. The results were really cool. We took a stainless steel striker bolt that we had turned on a lathe a "dunked" it in the solution for less that 30 seconds and it came out looking like it had been polished on a buffing wheel. I can't remember the pricing, but I think it is real comparable, if not cheaper, than a vibratory tumbler. This may not prove to be true if you start doing larger parts, but for nuts and bolts it is worth researching. I will try to get the company name that we went through and post it here if I find it.

·
Trique Manufacturing
38 Posts
triquemfg said:
Stainless steel?

If nuts and bolts is all you are going to do I may have a suggestion for you. We bought a vibratory tumbler and have tried a few different medias, but they take so long. I am not discrediting them, I know a lot of people that get great results from them. It just takes a little more time than we want to spend on some parts. I have done some research on electro-polishing and we actually purchased a small kit and experimented with it a little. The results were really cool. We took a stainless steel striker bolt that we had turned on a lathe a "dunked" it in the solution for less that 30 seconds and it came out looking like it had been polished on a buffing wheel. I can't remember the pricing, but I think it is real comparable, if not cheaper, than a vibratory tumbler. This may not prove to be true if you start doing larger parts, but for nuts and bolts it is worth researching. I will try to get the company name that we went through and post it here if I find it.
platingsales.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.