Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
That is a very good list. I personally think Little Wing should be rated a little higher but it's all good... Good find. :thumbup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
...Once again a list that horribly fails, especially with the likes of that hack Kurt Cobain being mentioned in a "greatest guitar solos" list such as this, but not surprising really since I've seen alot of these lists.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sometimes ingenuity takes place over skill. It's not necesarly how complex, or fast, or long the guitar riffs are, but how creative and ground breaking they are.
All those people on that list, including Kurt, changed the way music was played. Most of the late 90's hard rock was influenced directly by the grunge movement in which Kurt played a significant role. Wether I like him or not, he did change the way people played guitar, and in my mind that's something to respect and honour. All people on that list were incredibly influential to say the least.
Hotel California should've ranked higher, the dude actually planned and wrote out ALL his solos instead of just finding a medley in the proper scale.
Loved Slash's solo as well.

Just my $.02

Mike

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dude, of course it doesn't have to do with technicality. I love solo's for the beauty that simply radiates from the guitars and you can just feel the emotion being played by the musician. I still think that list is horrible and overlooks many solos that should be on that list but they never manage to do lists or band lists right. Kurt Cobain should never be affiliated with a greatest solo's list just because he was some overrated musician that helped pave the way for a new crappy genre of music that is grunge.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
Good stuff, just blew an hour listening to some good music. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
It's nice to see Led Zep at the top, where they belong.
Pretty good list, lots of stuff that you wouldn't normally associate with a guitar solo.

Steely Dan is one that surprised me being on the top 100 list as was Jethro Tull..( I always thought the Aqualung solo was WAY too short.

I think whoever compiled that list did a pretty good job, considering they were probably under a good deal of pressure to include artists with "teen" appeal.

I personally would have left out anyone that wasn't able to play a guitar in 1969.

That's just me.

Later, mikey

·
Registered
358 Posts
I doubt that the sample used includes many people who understand the technical aspect of playing and puting together top shelf guitar work. Music critics/ pop song reviewers or whatever is more likely. Power-chord metal is well represented, but much of it is technically simple. (Curt Cobain? yeah right...) A good example, Zappa's Zoot Allures is there, but not Muffin Man, Can't Afford No Shoes or Inca Roads. All are far better tastes of Zappa's incredible talent. Stevie Ray's version of Little Wing tops Hendrix too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's an interesting list. The Pink Floyd, Comfortably Numb solo is a gem. I have tons of Pink Floyd on my hard drive and that song is my favorite. A true masterpiece.

An overlooked lead solo is Blue Sued Shoes on the album, Hendrix in the West. It's mind boggling good. Hendrix rotates between rhythm and lead. It'll knock yer rock-socks off. They screwed up the ending though. I have it if anybody is interested. On that same album, Hendrix does a spectacular version of Red House which should have made that list.

·
Ford Man to the bone!!!
112 Posts

·
oldsmobile compatible
166 Posts
Robin Trower did some amazing stuff. He was the guitarist for Procol Harum who did Whiter Shade of Pale. His style has a lot of Hendrix influence.

His solo stuff was not huge radio hits. Some tunes are kinda trippy-mellow, others rock, and for both you can always count on an impressive guitar solo.

The albums I had were Bridge of Sighs, For Earth Below, Twice Removed from Yesterday.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Im am glad to see dime on the list representing the new age heavy metal. I love my 80s hair metal ratt, van halen, quiet riot, judas, maiden, etc.... But I am a big PanterA fan so I naturally have a bias towards the great dimebag.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Forgot about Robin Trower, very good. How about SRV's Riviera Paradise? Or Stormy Monday performed by Cream... I have a recording of that song from Royal Albert Hall. Outstanding.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I still don't know of any I like significantly more than the live version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" from the Allman Bros' "Live at the Fillmore East" album.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts