Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Ford, 502 BBC 6 speed Tremec
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with leaks on the #10 hose Vintage AC Bulkhead fitting?

The seal wont compress into the female end of the fitting without getting chewed up. I have had 3 hoses made and tried both the black and green seals with ac oil. Also used both long and short male fittings.

Normally they shred a bit on the edges and leak , the one pictured had a bite taken out of it.

I just ordered 2 new fittings and tried assemble them on the bench, but they appear to be squeezing out the seal. (Pictured)

Vintage Air's bulkhead plate has 3 #10 fittings and uses 2 for the heater and 1 for the AC all the same part #

Attachments

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
I'm going to ask a couple of questions and don't get offended. Are you installing the O ring on the male fitting and are you using the correct size O ring. Also is the O ring ypur using O rings for A/C applications. One last question. After re reading your post it sounds like the O ring is to thick. Are you sure your installing a O ring for a # 10 fitting?

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

30yrs in automotive A/C

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no offence taken. I am using AC o rings, I bought an assortment of green from NAPA and they were definitely too thick, wouldn't work. The Orings that came with the new hoses were also green, but thinner normal O ring size, but didn't work either. The black o rings that I had in my tool box seemed to fit the best, also an ac assortment. All the #10 size, but I have been tempted to try the one size smaller to see if it would slide into the female. better judgement stops me as it would be the wrong size and may split later on.

Years ago I had my own shop and did a lot of ac work, after I closed it I worked for Honda back on the day when the dealers installed ac's , I've installed hundreds back in the early 90's. No comebacks, but all oem. Never liked aftermarket.

This blows my mind.

I have put the oring on the male side with a little oil and hold it tight to the female fitting while trying to edge it in with a small screwdriver to get the seal started and then turn the nut on while still holding the fittings together.

I don't see much of an inside taper on the female, hardly any at all for the seal to guide into the fitting. Shouldn't there be an inside taper? I ordered 2 new fittings from vintage air and they don't look much different. The fitting in the cabin for the evaporator has not leaked only the engine compartment side. Any thoughts??

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
No. The fitting has straight sidewalls. No taper.
I think your O ring is to thick. Was the O ring assortment you got form Napa for A/C?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes ac orings and also I had 2 hoses made with new fittings and used the o rings that came in the box with the fittings. , prior to that I had AN ss braided hoses and they leaked everywhere. (This is a new build auto, by the way 150 miles on it). This led me to the only thing left the bulkhead fitting.

Just to be clear the oring that I am using does not have to be stretched onto the male tube of the fitting and it fits snug without sliding off and looks to be correct thickness .

without the oring in place the 2 fittings fit perfectly together and the male fits all the way into the seat.

The oring will not fit into the female seat evenly if I just try to fit it in without the other fitting. which like you say sounds like its too thick. But where do I get slim Orings? these came in the box with the fittings when we made the hoses. If I stretch the next size smaller oring on it will thin it out??

The sidewalls are straight with a slight chamfer , I would think that causes the oring to bind between the 2 flat surfaces. How could it enter the female like that?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
orings

The green O ring on the right came from napa too thick

the 2 orings in the center came with the fittings in the box

Black oring is from the assortment

Attachments

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Try a smaller dia. Pump it down and see if it holds. Looking at your picture the cut one look about correct.
If that doesn't work PM me your address and I'll send you a couple.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that!

Believe it or not it pumps down to about 29 and holds a charge for about 2 weeks. Of course the one with the bite out of it leaked as soon as I put a little test charge in it.

I appreciate that you would send me a few seals. Hoping I wont need them when I replace the new bulkhead fittings, it will be later this month before I get to it. Thanks

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,503 Posts
rob at vintage air would be your best bet, call him and explain the situation
i pretty much guarantee he will send you the right stuff for free :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vintage Air

I called them to get some info and basically they told me that the 3 #10 fitting's were interchangeable for both the heater hoses and the ac hose. They also said it took a normal ac seal.

I ordered 2 new #10 fittings for the bulkhead, hoping that will work.

FYI they can be ordered separately from the block. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called them to get some info and basically they told me that the 3 #10 fitting's were interchangeable for both the heater hoses and the ac hose. They also said it took a normal ac seal.

I ordered 2 new #10 fittings for the bulkhead, hoping that will work.

FYI they can be ordered separately from the block. Thanks
Greetings,
Just checking to see if the new bulkhead fitting is leak free? If you experience any difficulties down the road , please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
[EMAIL="tec *************************

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
getting ready to assemble

Believe it or not I have been in a 4 month fiasco having a new Radiator built from one of the top shops in the country! So they say. I have finally sorted out the new radiator and I am getting ready to assemble, in the process of making brackets for the condenser now. While I was at it I decided to install a new VA 03332-VUC Condenser and a better set of fans.
Before I took the ac system down I dropped a little dye in it which also picked up some leakage around the ac compressor manifold which has several different manifold to compressor seal options (red, green , black and gold) for the R-4 compressor.
So I am installing new Vintage Air parts 33602-VUI, 34108-VUG, 334010-VOR, and also a full seal kit from VA., along with the new condenser, dryer and system flush.
I assembled the Bulkhead fitting to the hose on my work bench and it seemed to go together without biting the seal . Which was the original issue that I started this topic on the forum. So fingers are crossed and will know in a few days if I have any major leaks. Thanks for the follow up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vintage air update

I know it has been almost 4 months, but I wanted to finalize this topic for those that helped me with their input. The main reason for the delay was having a radiator built and it shouldn't have taken 4 months but the company I was dealing with just couldn't get it right. I had a dimple core radiator built with a new set of fans and a new condenser as a package. I took the AC system down and the cooling system down at the same time. Before I did , I first dropped some dye into the ac system. Just to see if there were any other leaks and a small leak showed up between the Compressor adapter and the GM R4. So long story short The Bulkhead fitting was the culprit, visually it looked perfect but I replaced it with a new one from Vintage Air along with seals from their full seal kit and its been holding Freon for 2 weeks, (still keeping my fingers crossed). I also put a new Vintage Air Compressor Adapter Block to take care of the smaller leak.
The company that built the radiator for me supplied me with a new aluminum condenser that had a 100% blockage from the factory (defective assembly). That went in the garbage, so I went with the Vintage Air SuperFlow Condenser, the biggest one that would fit on a 34 ford radiator and I would have to say it made a huge difference. Output air gets very cold quickly and the car cools down fast. So the bulkhead fittings in the Vintage Air kit being lightweight aluminum, and they are thin where the seal sits may have been out of round slightly and kept nicking and biting the seal when I tightened the hose connection. Anyway thanks for your help and hopefully this will help someone else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts