Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '65 Bonneville it had an alarm system that looks like it's been there a while and seems to be working. I just can't figure out how to set it. It has a siren, solenoids on both doors, hood, and trunk, a switch under the dash, blinking light, etc. Prev. owner said it didn't work (he thought) but the 1st time I disconnected and reconnected the battery the siren blasted and scared the #[email protected]% out of me. The closest I can get is that there is a sequence involving the alarm switch and the ignition switch which activates the system but I can't figure it out and my 80yr old neighbor is threatening to set fire to my garage if I don't stop with the siren. Any ideas?

·
Life's a small bore.
45 Posts
First off, disconnect the siren and put a test light in its place. That will keep the neighbor happy.

The old systems I used to work with went like this:

1) Shut off engine and remove the key.

2) Activate arming switch with drivers door open and all other doors locked. You have 3 seconds to get out of the car and lock the driver's door.

The alarm should arm, and when you open any door except the driver's door it should go off right away. To get in, you have 3 seconds to open the driver's door then flip the switch.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, 85Citation. I'll test this out when all this subsidiary weather crap from Hurricane Ivan is finished. So far, the front with all the tornados has been slightly west of us and I hope it stays that way. It's currently giving western suburbs of DC a tough time. I'll let you know how I make out with the alarm. Thanks, Frank in Reedville, VA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts