Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it difficult to change a vinyl top? Or is it better to stay away from? I dont know how long they last. Iwill say they look nice when there new. Any advise or knowledge on this would be greatly aprieciated.

·
banned
1,083 Posts
Vynal over top of metal severly increases the rate of corrosion... I wouldn't reccomend it but if you like the look go for it.
Also if it is good vynal it will probably outlast the paint under it.

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: stonedchihuahua ]</p>

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its vinyl over a hardtop. Just as i figured; This is the first time messing with them. So what is the best way to remove it? That looks to be a job also.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If your top is cracked or torn it is forming pockets for rust and corrosion as we read this note. The worst tops for rotten tops are the padded ones. Just cut the material with a boxcutter around the perimeter of the roof, and peel it like a skinned cat. Be prepared to be exposed to gross rust chips and possible holing especially at the lower rear quarters of the roof pillar at the top of the rear fenders. The top should be sanded, rust damage repaired, and then primed and finish painted (color is not important if you're replacing the vinyl, just use what you have in a good quality paint).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far its got a lot of dry cracks and its faded; its the original. I will get it off. hopfully its not all rusted. It has chrome molding around it; Do i have to pull the headliner plus the rear panels? Or do they snap out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts