Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some plastic kick panels that are deteriorating from age. I was going to make replacements from fiberglass then wrap them in vinyl. I would use a heat gun to stretch and contour the vinyl to panel.
My questions are:
Do I need to paint the panels before the vinyl wrap? Like an epoxy to block the moister?
What adhesive should I use? I plan to brush it on.
To fill in any imperfections, should I use glass fiberfiller or is bondo alright? I was thinking fiberfiller for any larger spots- then bondo to fill pin holes.

I did some searching and couldn't find specific for this project. I’d like to hear if anyone has tried this and what kind of success they had.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
If the imperfections are large, I would use fiberglass to get it close and then bondo for the final coat to make it smooth. Prime and paint the panels and wet sand it smooth with 800 grit, degrease and clean the panels before applying the vinyl. Most vinyl wraps are adhesive backed so additional adhesive is not needed.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
You should use DAP Weldwood HHR ( high heat resistant) top and trim contact adhesive. It can be sprayed or brushed on. The smallest container it comes in is one gallon, and it's available online at Your Auto Trim Store. This is not available at Home Depot or any other home improvement store. If you don't use this, or something just like it, you will be doing it over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the DAP Weldwood is what I am looking to use. I was planning on attaching vinyl fabric to the fiberglass, not a vinyl sheet. Sorry if that was confusing.

Any thoughts on sealing the fiberglass? Should I epoxy it for moisture control?

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
You don't need to epoxy it, just make it smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts