Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1970 VW has stock HP of 57

i want about 150-200

.. i have another engine thats going to go in it after i finish the project..

but i want more HP.. so how can i do it WITHOUT taking the rear engine hood off?

i want it to look stock

but i need more HP.. what can i do?..

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
big bore kit, there are a lot of goodies to be had for the air cooled VW engines, just have to search. I think a good Holley 2bbl, would be good for it, maby a couple Webber carbs.

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
matt167 said:
big bore kit, there are a lot of goodies to be had for the air cooled VW engines, just have to search. I think a good Holley 2bbl, would be good for it, maby a couple Webber carbs.
yeah

but what all's in the big bore kit?

·
41' Chevy Master DeLuxe Tudor
123 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
techinspector1 said:
For the horsepower increase you're looking for, you should be thinking turbo.
Or a different car, altogether. VW's aren't the best cars to soup up, as far as the $$$cost to horsepower ratio goes. Just IMO.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
You'll be most limited by the air-cooled engine, but many have done the later 2000cc four-port engine which is pretty easy to get 100 hp. Also consider a Porsche air cooled flat 4 turbo. the engineering is already done for you and they can pretty easily make 180hp. They weren't very reliable in those air-cooled forms, but better than nothing I guess.

But if you're looking for 200hp from a 1.6L air cooled engine, I think you should just consider another vehicle. VW air cooled engines are not performance engines by any stretch.

Not to mention, they aren't overly strong internally. They don't have to be for 57 hp, but making 200 hp in that case is like taking your small block chevy and saying, "how do I make 950 hp without a cowl induction hood?" You're asking for quadruple the power. It'll never do it.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Do you do anything but post on this site?? Why not try actually doing some work on your buggy then telling us what ahppened or what you did or did not do. You can blabe and blabe on here every day, but if you don't get off your duff and try something on your own, then your missing the point.

·
Registered
584 Posts
yknot said:
Do you do anything but post on this site?? Why not try actually doing some work on your buggy then telling us what ahppened or what you did or did not do. You can blabe and blabe on here every day, but if you don't get off your duff and try something on your own, then your missing the point.
Dude, he's 14, limited on experience, not to mention cash on what he can do financial wise so stop being such a wise *** and leave him the hell alone you ignorant bastard.

·
MOPAR Guy
186 Posts
yknot said:
I think it's great that he's learning about cars instead of spending all of his time playing video games and learning nothing.

Now, for getting more HP out of a bug... I agree with what others have previous said: when you're getting 200 HP there's a risk of having the engine break itself. What would be really cool is to put a 300 HP SBC 350 with a full drive trian in your bug. That car would go! :evil:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also, instead of just looking at chasing power look at loosing weight. same outcome (to a point) and cheaper.

Used to have a kombi years ago - loved the fact that you could rip out the motor by hand and plonk it on a bench for a rebuild.

anything else than a VW motor in a bug aint right. They're that sort of car.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
There used to be a site called Caddywagen.com. It chronicled a college student who grafted the front frame section of an Eldorado with a 500 engine to the rear of a bug pan. It was remarkably easy, even the frame rail spacing was the same. He just pulled the body, cut the VW pan, welded the Eldo frame on to it (with reinforcements) and then cut the Caddy frame off at the firewall. He welded the pitman arm on the steering box to fix the toe, but he had it running and driving with the body back on in a matter of a few weeks and a few hundred dollars.

Of course he gave up the back seat, but that's not really a loss in a bug :) I agree that VWs should stay in the Audi/VW/Porsche family, but a 500 in a bug is pretty wicked :thumbup:

·
Registered
377 Posts
yknot said:
I wish at 14 I would have been asking questions instead of messing around playing video games. By the time I started actually building my Mustang, I would have been able to do it right the first time. The learning process for me involved less asking questions, more yanking the motor I built 4 times to keep troubleshooting. Took me about 6 months to get the drivetrain right, but at this point, I can swap my motor and tranny in and out in about 3 or 4 hours tops. Depending on WHY I'm pulling them. =D I love my little 6.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
JAKE 68 GMC said:
I second that.
I third it. And being a mode pretty much makes it final.
Yknot. Try to be a little more sensative or try not posting at all.

As for yer question mr Photo.
Ive had several VW's and dont think with some fine tunning they wont move dwn the track.
I had a mag that showed ya step by step on how to get like 170 horses outta a stroked stock looking bug as well as 3-4 hundred horse turbo bugs. If I can find it, I will gladly send it to ya. If not, I will try to see if I can find the article online.
You figure it this way. A bug weighs like 1500-1600lbs. So with a 170 horse engine, its like having a Chevelle with a 350 horse engine or so. But you still have the weight over the tires for aided traction, lighter weight to get a jump off the line. So all in all, its like having a 400+ horse full size car.
It comes with a price though. VW motors will cost a little more with less results. But its way different and way cool in my book.
If you need help, just ask a question. HG :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts