Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 56’ Chevy 3100 and just recently went to go crank it and it was dead. Went to charge the battery and as soon as I did the voltage regulator started buzzing. I’m assuming that means it’s bad? Any ideas on where to start to see if it’s a bad regulator(already have a new one) or if the wiring caused it to go bad? I’m planning on redoing the wiring since it’s mostly original and pieced together. The truck is a 12v system and all I’ve found on the voltage regulators for it are for the 6v generators… is there a real need for it on this truck?

Motor vehicle Hood Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Easier and in the long run deal would be a swap to an internal regulator type alternator.
You’ll likely prefer one when you rewire the truck.

You got any more pics of the truck and motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 56’ Chevy 3100 and just recently went to go crank it and it was dead. Went to charge the battery and as soon as I did the voltage regulator started buzzing. I’m assuming that means it’s bad? Any ideas on where to start to see if it’s a bad regulator(already have a new

View attachment 623691
Easier and in the long run deal would be a swap to an internal regulator type alternator.
You’ll likely prefer one when you rewire the truck.

You got any more pics of the truck and motor.
Any suggestions on alternators?
Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Tire

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shortest distance between A and B is a 3 wire Delcotron. You can disconnect the old mechanical regulator and leave it in for visual effect.

Bogie
Thank you! I’m gonna go with the integrated alternator and clean up the fire wall when I do it. Would the 3 wire be better than a single wire integrated one?

·
Registered
15,454 Posts
Thank you! I’m gonna go with the integrated alternator and clean up the fire wall when I do it. Would the 3 wire be better than a single wire integrated one?
I like the 3 wire simply because it is less sensitive to engine RPM to get itself excited. Nothing wrong with a one wire as long as you realize that some of them need you to goose the throttle to get them delivering electrons.

Bogie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the 3 wire simply because it is less sensitive to engine RPM to get itself excited. Nothing wrong with a one wire as long as you realize that some of them need you to goose the throttle to get them delivering electrons.

Bogie
Thank you! I found a one wire that cuts in at around 800 RPM. Gonna give it a shot and see what happens lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use a plain old GM one wire. Volt meter instead of amp gauge. I connected the alternator to the bat wire/connection at the regulator then unhooked the "in" connection at the amp gauge and hooked same to "out' stud.
Been that way for 12 years.

Ben
Thank ya! I’m gonna go the one wire route and see how it does

·
Registered
27 T, scratch built road race chassis, 392 hemi, Holley EFI
29 Posts
Whatever you do, DON'T try "poke and hope" by blindly tweaking the adjustments in the regulator. The end result is often a burned up wiring harness and/or generator.

·
Registered
27 T, scratch built road race chassis, 392 hemi, Holley EFI
29 Posts
You need the proper manual and the right tools (multimeter, contact burnisher and sometimes a set of load resistors). Follow the procedure exactly, don't assume that any step is close enough.
OR get a 1 wire alternator. The ones that look like a generator / early alternator are available if period looks are your thing. Leave the regulator and dead-end the wires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts