Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering one of these for a swap. Truth be told, I get a little nervous playing with drive by wire and computer controls. Does anyone make a "stand alone" ECU for these engines so they can be swapped into an earlier car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After cruising the Web, I guess what I really need is just a stand alone harness. But, I can't find anyone who makes one. Also, I'm not sure what makes "drive by wire" work. Do you need a special, electrically sensitive, gas pedal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know there is a company out there that make's a harness it is uasually custom made depending on your application (what option,trans that sort of thing). If you are getting this out of a wrecked SUV try to get as much of the wiring as possible. Get the ECU and trans mission, and exhaust. You will need to have the computer reprogrammed if you delete or add anything to it. The gas pedal is controlled by a Throttle Position Sensor that runs the motor or servo on the throttle body. I haven't seen any of these conversions but always thought it would be pretty neat though. Hope this helps you in any way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
monkeywrench69 said:
I know there is a company out there that make's a harness it is uasually custom made depending on your application (what option,trans that sort of thing). If you are getting this out of a wrecked SUV try to get as much of the wiring as possible. Get the ECU and trans mission, and exhaust. You will need to have the computer reprogrammed if you delete or add anything to it. The gas pedal is controlled by a Throttle Position Sensor that runs the motor or servo on the throttle body. I haven't seen any of these conversions but always thought it would be pretty neat though. Hope this helps you in any way.
Thank you for that info. If something like this is of interest to anyone else, go here http://www.inliners.org/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=3;t=000538

That takes you Inliners International, they are doing a lot of work on this engine over there.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
If you keep everything from the slavaged vehicle in the harness you're okay, including the gas pedal assembly. The gauges will be the big problem, since most of the newer ones read off the OBDII computer. There are newer replacement/custom gauges that will do the same. You don't need a complete wiring harness for the donor vehicle as long as you UNPLG connectors, DON'T CUT WIRES. Then you just need the wiring pin-out charts for the connector to the firewall, the computer, and the instrument cluster. Those three will provide 90-95% of what you need. A few others you'll have to trace out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another problem I didn't think of. I need to use the original instruments. I figured the mechanical speedo would be a problem, but now it looks like tapping into the lines for oil pressure, temperature and alternator.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Faust said:
Another problem I didn't think of. I need to use the original instruments. I figured the mechanical speedo would be a problem, but now it looks like tapping into the lines for oil pressure, temperature and alternator.
Are you sure it uses a mechanical drive speedo? If it is new enough to be drive by wire, you would think the speedo would be electrical also.

I guess I got myself confused when reading this thread, The speedo in the donor would be electrical BUT the speedo in the recipient would be mechanical.
I need a light bulb smiley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yea the speedo's are electronic but for about the same price you can either keep your old gauges or convert them over to electric ones I know alot of them have been putting Dakota digital gauges in but the stock ones look ahole lot better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts