Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 OBS, the 5.7 vortec blew up the other day. Piston/rod blew a hole in the side of the block. Anyway i have a Chevy 400 sitting in my shed and was wondering can i swap all the stuff from the vortec to the 400 and put it back into my truck?
I assume ill need larger injectors, but what else would i have to upgrade?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi,
There's a few things that need to be don, you'll need to drill steam holes in the heads,
the compression ratio should be OK according to what the deck height is, as the 400 had dished pistons ,
the C Cs for these heads is 64-66, a little bowl work & gasket matching, should be fine.
Rich

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
The Vortec engine has a roller cam that will not swap into the 400. You would have to get a custom made balancer so it could have the ring behind the balancer so the crank position sensor would work. The knock sensor would have to be changed and I`m not sure if anyone makes a knock sensor for a 400. The computer would have to be reflashed by a dealer as a 400 is 50 cubic inches bigger. I`m sure I`m prolly missing something here but it wouldn`t be a cheap swap by no means. It sure would be a cool swap though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.