Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was walking through the yard today and came across four trucks that had 350s with vortec heads on them. I know they all were from the cash for clunkers thing and had the liquid glass put in them. How much does this affect the heads? I had the valve covers off and it looks clean there is no signs of anything unusual.

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so as long as they r cleaned up good they should be ok? also what about the block. i know the crank, pistons, rods, and cam r junk but the upull charges 100bucks for a complete motor so if i can get a block and set of heads out of it i think it would be worth it plus i can sell the intake and all that stuff that i wont use.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
zildjian4life218 said:
so as long as they r cleaned up good they should be ok? also what about the block. i know the crank, pistons, rods, and cam r junk but the upull charges 100bucks for a complete motor so if i can get a block and set of heads out of it i think it would be worth it plus i can sell the intake and all that stuff that i wont use.
Any shortblock from about '87-up will have the roller cam provisions with a few exceptions. I would say to go w/one that had not been 'glassed, although I agree 'glassed heads will be OK after a good, thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Jake_Dragon said:
I thought they couldn't sell any of the parts off of the motor.
..I thought it was against the law to cheat on one's income taxes ;)

..I thought illegals were illegal ;)

.. I thought sex with a drugged child was rape ;)

Jake Dragon. Us two are old fashioned. You never heard of "Change"?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
yea, the yard might not sell them to you if they find white paint on them.. I belive the engines are 'off limits' but IDK because the C4C stickers just say engine block cannot be sold, not Engine components

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
zildjian4life218 said:
all of them have been glassed :mad: .
At $50/pr. you could prolly make a couple bucks, enough to easily pay for your heads and rework by pulling a few sets and reselling them.

As for water-glassed engines, the pre/non-cash for clunker roller cam shortblocks are the ones I'm suggesting you to look for, if they have any.

·
World Famous VF-14
468 Posts
yea, you can not buy the short block, everything else is good I asked about that when i seen a bunch at my local yard.

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i'm glad to know that the heads are salvageable. all the 350s that were in that yard were tbi or vortec but have all been glassed. except i did come across an olds 350 that has been sitting there for a while long before the c4c. anyways thanks for the help guys, i'm going down i think thursday to grab the heads.

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey just wanted to let everyone know, i got the heads back yesterday and the machinist said they are good to go. He said they looked like hell when they came out of the oven but after the steel shot machine they look good as new. Thanks for all the help everyone, I got three more sets in my shed waiting to go and get cleaned up.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
these things were ran until they siezed.... Vortecs are known for cracks... I guess I just don't like betting against the house. higher cost of cleaning, more likely to be faulty, higher machining costs... liek buying a $50 powerball ticket IMO

·
World Famous VF-14
468 Posts
61bone said:
Did your machinist check the valve guides? They are probably damaged.
Naa every SBC I have pulled the valve covers off of, the crap they put in never made it through the pushrods.Most I have seen is a couple of drops on the top of the valve covers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.