Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The link doesn't speak about adjust the push rod length when cutting down heads or the common machine work Vortec's need,but you guys know about that already.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
1Gary,I did not see the heads I used back in the early 80s. GM cast iron,2.02,angle plug heads sold as service heads over the counter.I thought the castings had 292 in there somewhere. thought you might know the casting number?
My 67 Camaro 355 street car ran 11.9s with those heads @ 114 mph. That was decent back then

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The vortec heads do work nice on a daily driven vehicle. You could not get the same benefits from a 46x or 601 casting. Even if you tried to copy the modifications on the vortecs. On lifts from .3-400" the vortec are superior. If you were racing you would like to open up the heads a little more. There are some good vortec recipes for a mild driver out there. They are good at flowing while maintaining velocity at lower rpm. Chamber shape , bowl, guide, runner shape, intake entry angle, are good. Nothing bad about the vortecs performance. Sure there are better, but are you going to need that.

My build is with 906 vortecs milled .040" series 2 V6 beehives and retainers. It works very well and cost under $300 for the pair. That includes heads , beehive springs, small retainers, self algining rockers, and all. When the aftermarket can touch that let me know, because any good head at that performance level is over a grand.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Humps still make more power once they are ported right. Vortecs can only Get mild port work cause they are so thin. Cut them to thin they will crack.
Are you comparing fully ported humps to stock Vortecs? Fully ported the Vortecs will still dominate fully ported humps- and you can't make humps into Vortec heads without extensive welding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.