Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Any Body Ran A Comp Cam 292H (501/501)lift, with Vortec Heads 64cc, If so how did it perform on the Street, and did you have any problems running the set up?

·
Banned
256 Posts
you have to machine the spring pocket as stock vortecs don't do lift over .450
I'm not sure but I think the pressed in studs need to go to..
I have a 292 in my 355 but it has brodix trackI heads

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does it run with those Brodix heads??
i juss ordered the springs, i talked to comp cam they said to use the behive springs to avoid machining the heads..

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Its a really big hydraulic cam, for the RPM the duration lends itself towards you'd be better off going with a solid flat tappet.

You may want to consider a solid cam, since its a toy you can get away with checking lash only once a year or so and they can be made to be more durable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i appricate the help i am about to look up the screw in studs. Is there a spacific company that i should go With that makes them??

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
ok i appricate the help i am about to look up the screw in studs. Is there a spacific company that i should go With that makes them??
ARP.

Do you already have the cam? If not it's not really a good match for the Vortec heads. They start choking a little before 6,000 RPM. Stick with something in the 220-230 range or even smaller for those heads and you'll be better off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i already bought the cam but i still have another month so i can still return it,, what would be the best cam to go with, the the vortec heads

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
yes i already bought the cam but i still have another month so i can still return it,, what would be the best cam to go with, the the vortec heads
The XE or VooDoo 268 is a really good off the shelf cam for stock Vortec heads in a flat top piston 350 with an RPM intake, 700+/-cfm vacuum secondary carb, and 1 5/8" headers. Runs good with a 2500 stall.

That combo has been done a LOT because it works very well.

·
Banned
256 Posts
The XE or VooDoo 268 is a really good off the shelf cam for stock Vortec heads in a flat top piston 350 with an RPM intake, 700+/-cfm vacuum secondary carb, and 1 5/8" headers. Runs good with a 2500 stall.

That combo has been done a LOT because it works very well.
x2...

my brodix headed 355 goes nicely, the heads are ported and it really needs a roller solid in it..

·
Banned
256 Posts
I am posting these dyno sheets from Comp Cams for you to compare. XE262H-10, Camshaft Part#12-238-2 Dyno Sheet XE268H-10, Camshaft Part#12-242-2 Dyno Sheet I was surprised at the results. Bigger is not always better.
surpriced.. why.. Jeff Smith and the late great John lingerfeller(sp?)
have been saying this since the early 80's
more power under the curve....
it's not all that hard to make peak hp.. it's the power under that..
unless you are Warren Johnson shifting a lenco.. then peaky is good

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I agree that dual pattern cam shafts can act funny and dyno results dont always show the true picture. They are designed to widen the power band.

In this case the lower hp is from the low compression ratio. Its only 9.25 for both engines. The larger cam needs more compressions. Also not that the larger cam is only a few degrees more duration. this is because these two cams were ground with a different purpose in mind.

But he has already purchased a larger single pattern cam shaft. That is a proven performer as long as the cr or dcr is high enough to support the larger stick. this cam with the good heads and right cr should hit the 400 hp mark. Low cr will produce much lower results.
The larger single patter camshaft will make less power, less torque, and burn through more fuel. The heads simply can't support it. FWIW, Vortec heads can hit 400hp with the 262 cam mentioned. The 268 cam will only make about 5hp more than the 262.

Running a bigger cam than the heads can support will not make more power, but people don't want to hear that.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
My compression is 9.8-1.
Have any of you heard about the xe274 with vortec heads??
Yea, it'll run okay, but the cam is too big. Do a max effort port job on the Vortecs and the 274 is about right, the 268 will still do wonderfully though.

If you don't care about power and just want the noise then I'd just go with a older cam with similar duration, it'll give you the noise but isn't as aggressive- better durability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok thanks,, jus doing some research they say that the 268 and the Xe274 are the best cams to go with , with the vortec heads i am going to take back the 292H Comp Cam Today. the car is a daily driver i am looking to be around the 375-400 range..

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
ok thanks,, jus doing some research they say that the 268 and the Xe274 are the best cams to go with , with the vortec heads i am going to take back the 292H Comp Cam Today. the car is a daily driver i am looking to be around the 375-400 range..
the 262 and 268 are closer to the best cams to go with. The 274 is too big unless you port those heads to the max. The Vortec heads and 262 or 268 is capable of over 400hp if you build a really good engine around them.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Aaaaa-the Vortec crutch. GM/Chevy named a whole bunch of things Vortec. NOT all things being equal. The production line Vortec's are the tiny weenie port answer and ya just got to remember what makes them Vortecs is the rough intake runner. Some neanderthal gets in there with a die grinder and destroys the Vortec effect by smooth porting those. The Bowtie versions on the other hand do have some merit with 180 cc and 200cc intake runners. I think both have dual intake bolt patterns.

But why oh why is it always a choice of Vortecs??. Well someone along this life's journey of mine came up with a foolish notion of a budget when hot rodding. That was NEVER even a thought or at least a joke when I was younger building cars. Now it is the cheapest thing you can find vs wanting to build the best as it was. It did cost about the same when I was younger given what I was making coming up. So that excuse doesn't hold water here. We just gave up what ever it took to come up with the money to build what we wanted,took on a second job,did side work,etc. What made me and my friends around me special was the STANDARDS we held in what we where building as hot rodders. But the main priority in our life's was the car we where building. OMG tell these guys they have to give up their cell phone and all the apps on it and not text anymore so they can afford parts for a build and have a young guy with tears in his eyes. Now that is screwed up..............OK rant over,well for now anyways.

So keep asking about the Vortecs and not knowing what your missing in the aftermarket. There is a whole industry that relies on that fact..............

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Aaaaa-the Vortec crutch. GM/Chevy named a whole bunch of things Vortec. NOT all things being equal. The production line Vortec's are the tiny weenie port answer and ya just got to remember what makes them Vortecs is the rough intake runner. Some neanderthal gets in there with a die grinder and destroys the Vortec effect by smooth porting those. The Bowtie versions on the other hand do have some merit with 180 cc and 200cc intake runners. I think both have dual intake bolt patterns.

But why oh why is it always a choice of Vortecs??. Well someone along this life's journey of mine came up with a foolish notion of a budget when hot rodding. That was NEVER even a thought or at least a joke when I was younger building cars. Now it is the cheapest thing you can find vs wanting to build the best as it was. It did cost about the same when I was younger given what I was making coming up. So that excuse doesn't hold water here. We just gave up what ever it took to come up with the money to build what we wanted,took on a second job,did side work,etc. What made me and my friends around me special was the STANDARDS we held in what we where building as hot rodders. But the main priority in our life's was the car we where building. OMG tell these guys they have to give up their cell phone and all the apps on it and not text anymore so they can afford parts for a build and have a young guy with tears in his eyes. Now that is screwed up..............OK rant over,well for now anyways.

So keep asking about the Vortecs and not knowing what your missing in the aftermarket. There is a whole industry that relies on that fact..............
WTH?

Regardless of cost you can make an easy 400hp with those heads. And they are better than many aftermarket castings. A great head for a hot street engine.

I don't see what's wrong with taking a junkyard engine and tuning it to make more than 400 streetable hp for a total cost often less than $1500. And Vortec's are the only way to do that now, you can use an LT1, an LS variant, or one of the many different import turbo 4 bangers.

First person I've seen complain about how easy it is to make cheap power. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The Vortec are the newer double hump heads with limitations. It those limitations that created the aftermarket. And yes some of those aftermarket heads are imported casted junk. It is those deals that I am commenting about as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts