Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a retired Auto tech. I've always specialized in suspension, alignment and brakes. I drive a '64 Chevelle, and a '57 Chevy short bed my dream vehicles. I put a 327 out of a vette in my 64 with an early 700R4, runs amazing.
My question is, I'm putting the 283 out of my '64 in my pickup. The engine is very clean inside so I'm doing some mild torque related upgrades as I'll be pulling a Travel Trailer with it. It'll be a head turner for sure. Oh yeah, my question is I found some fresh vortec 062 heads that I was excited to find but now I find I can't or shouldn't use my stock pistons and intake. :spank: I'm thinking of staying with the flat top pistons even though it will reduce compression, any thoughts? Also, recommendation on intake and cam for low end torque would be appreciated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome to the site! I would post your question in the engine forum where more would see it. The Vortec heads do require the Vortec style intake but not sure on compression ratio.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Vortec

You need a vortec friendly intake. Edelbrock offers a great version for carbs that operate well with the vortec heads. Your stock flat top pistons, coupled with the vortec heads with their small combustion chamber, will pump your compression ratio beyond pump gas friendly. A dished piston will lower the compression and make the vortec heads a viable option. They are great flowing heads

·
Registered
257 Posts
Vortec

It could, depending on what heads you originally had on it. Do you know what cc the cylinder heads are that are currently on the engine? Most GM heads are 76cc chambers. There were some that were 62 cc chambers. The vortec heads are 64cc chambers. If your current heads are 76cc chamber, the vortec heads would dramatically increase compression.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sorted out the info.

Thanks, you're exactly right. I found out the original 283 has 60cc chambers, who knew? So it's a little less compression but it's all good, I can go ahead with the stock rebuild.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
283 is a very short stroke.no torque to be had there other than building horse power and using more gear for torque multiplication.
some vortec castings can be planed.
Love the 283,hope to build one someday soon.What RPM range are you planning for the 283? is it a 287 or 292? remember a 283 doesnt need a huge intake, a performer with a 650 is plenty. 1 5/8 headers are also plenty.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The 283 is the wrong engine for a tow vehicle.To buzz it all the time will wear it out faster. Any practical answer in increasing the SCR will require you to buy the most expensive pump gas as well. And to increase the SCR in a tow vehicle increases it's likelihood for detonation under a heavy load.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wrong engine?

You guys have me thinking I've been a bone head. Looks like I'd be better off stroking the motor or just rebuilding the 235 6 that's in it.

Seriously, thanks for keeping me from some great disappointment.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts