Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of vortec heads stock I know you can get 22Hp out of the stock ones, now how much can you get out of them max without spending a ton of money?

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Thats really dependent on the rest of your engine combination. To say certain heads make 22hp stock really doesn't make sense. No part alone makes any amount of power. Its how it mixes and matches with the rest of the engine that helps create more power.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Other than changing springs for a higher lift cam, I left mine alone.

I've read in one of the mags that trying to port them doesn't gain anything and might hurt them.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
The most I have seen them make in a street applicaton is around 440 hp and 480 ft lbs on a 9.5:1 383 with a roller cam. As far as your combonation goes, siggy is right, it all depends on the components you already have.

Adam

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a friend running high 10's with a 72 Nova with stock 1.94 heads on a 406. He did the high lift springs but left everything else alone. The car is strip only and has no interior, so it is a fairly light car.

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
I used the vortecs on my 383 camaro, all I did was have em cut for bigger springs and installed screw in studes and guide plates.cost me about 225.00 at the machine shop for labor and intallation of springs. Lots of used vortec heads on E bay!I was very please with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vortec heads

well here is my parts list for the 400HP 350 SB:Hydraulic lifters,Intake Manifold (Edelbrock Air gap Rpm range 1500-6500),HEI distributor,molly push rods one thousand over, forged piston flat tops 10.6 to 1, vortec roller rockers, molly valve locks, high performance bee hive springs and retainers, Intake and exhuast vavles (194), and either a speed demon 650 cfm or a street avenger 770 cfm, and an extreme energy camshaft 268H, vortec heads.
Now I was told these parts would give me 400 Hp let me know what you think. thanx JM.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Johnny
I ran a 383, 5.7 rods, Vortecs, 9.6:1 pistons, a 270 XE hydraulic roller, a 750 on a rpm manifold in a 3200 pound S-10 with a 700R4 and 4.11 Posi.
Through the mufflers on street tires (295 50X15) on a hot day at 2700 foot elevation, it ran a 12.37 at 114 MPH..
Cranking that into a Dyno program equates to about 445 horses...Figure that you have 33 less cubes and a flat tappet cam, and I would say that if it doesn't make 400 horses, it sure comes close !!!
Oh I just saw that you are in Canadia...That would make it 210 horsepower !! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts