Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a street stroker for a heavy 69 impala coupe. Their doing the work now.Wondering about fiddling with vortecs and getting them reworked for block or just buying edelbrock? By the time the dollars are all in on vortecs I'm about 900. I'm not sure where is best to buy edelbrocks but if theres a place in canukistan they cant be a whaling pile more. Appreciate thoughts

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Do you already have the Vortecs? I ask since when I got mine they were off a engine with 130,000 miles on them and the guides were like new. The only thing needed was a basic valve job, enlarging the spring pockets (for roller cam) and clearencing the valve guides for additional lift. The swirl vane heads on my 4.3 chevy pickup had 270,000 miles upon tear down and I was shocked to see they didn`t need guides either. better oils, more frequent oil changes and the self guiding rocker arm is what makes guides last so much longer. In the old days when you looked for and found a set of camel back heads and having them completely reworked was a given leaving one with a bill of around $500. It would also depend which edelbrocks you have your eye on, I ask since the Impala is a heavy vehicle and will need all the low end torque it can get. 170cc port of the vortec head is perfect, get too big a port and the low end gets soggy. How many cubic inches we talking here? what size cam? Intake? carb?

·
Banned
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DoubleVision said:
Do you already have the Vortecs? I ask since when I got mine they were off a engine with 130,000 miles on them and the guides were like new. The only thing needed was a basic valve job, enlarging the spring pockets (for roller cam) and clearencing the valve guides for additional lift. The swirl vane heads on my 4.3 chevy pickup had 270,000 miles upon tear down and I was shocked to see they didn`t need guides either. better oils, more frequent oil changes and the self guiding rocker arm is what makes guides last so much longer. In the old days when you looked for and found a set of camel back heads and having them completely reworked was a given leaving one with a bill of around $500. It would also depend which edelbrocks you have your eye on, I ask since the Impala is a heavy vehicle and will need all the low end torque it can get. 170cc port of the vortec head is perfect, get too big a port and the low end gets soggy. How many cubic inches we talking here? what size cam? Intake? carb?
383 stoker on a 350 block. 9:1 MAX, run on pump gas. cam comp 282. carb edelbrock performer 650 on torker intake. Everything oriented toward that heavy mass at low end. My shop raves about the vortec. They just dont seem easy to find. I think the secrets out

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`d get rid of the Torker intake, it`s more for upper rpm power and not low end torque, a dual plane performer RPM would be just right for your combo or a weiand stealth. I have a pair of vortec heads for sale, but being where you are shipping would be murder. If you go Vortec you`ll need a vortec intake as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
383 stroker

I built a stroker and put vortec heads on it and it makes 435 hp @ 5500 and 465 ft lbs at 3600. I am very happy with the results. I have not dirven it yet but should have the car out this spring.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
use the edelbrocks.

get the performer edelbrock heads (not rpms) and use the exhaust crossover since you live in a cold climate. Use a regular rpm intake (not air gap). You need heat under the carb in canada.

edelbrocks come in 64 and 70 cc. Make sure to setup the compression to match the cam and gear to to used.

summit racing is a good place to buy heads. (www.summitracing.com)

I have seen other cheap aluminum heads for less than 900 but I'm a little worried about the quality.

However, you will be better off building a stoker from a complete vortec roller 5.7 liter engine. These are nice engines to start with because they are already setup for a roller cam and have vortec heads. So, spend 500 of 600 on a complete engine then just rebuild with a stroker kit and bigger roller cam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.