Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is thinking about building an engine for his 72 Chevy pickup. I was wondering, what do you have to change to make a sbc into a vortec? You need to put vortec heads on and a steel crank in, right? Maybe not? thanx in advance!

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
It depends on what you mean, a entire vortec engine? or just the heads? Vortec was just a name adopted by GM in the late 80`s, the heads on these models show up on Ebay as "Vortec" heads and they aren`t. My engine came out of a 96 Z71, it has a cast iron crank, the crank type has nothing to do with it being a Vortec.

·
The lean mean donut machine
386 Posts
in order to have a vortec engine you will need vortec heads and an intake specially manufactured to fit them. I believe vortec heads also require self aligning rocker arms also. All of these things should bolt onto a regular small block.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
Those guys are right, and you also may need center bolt valve covers. You can get a set of assemeled vortec heads with the spring upgrade so that the heads can handle .525 lift for $ 650 a set, with the self aligning rockers. Those things, and a vortec intake manifold and thats all.

Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.