Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Vortec engine really that great? Please explaine what is so good about it. I mean, I prefer a well built carbureted engine over almost any other type of engine....thats just me tho.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It's just a label stuck on a 350 with good heads and sometimes a hyd. roller cam. Other than that it's pretty much the same old 350 we've had for 30+ years.

Larry

·
Registered
120 Posts
Aren't all vortec 96- 99 350 engines roller cam? I just bought a truck that suposedly has a vortec short block in it from a 98 suburban. I am hoping it has roller setup in it. I want to just put vortec heads on and a 650 Holley carb and I am hoping for a decent thing here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Naw, I know it has original 1981 heads and intake on it.

Does anyone have the lift and duration of the stock roller vortec cam?

·
Registered
724 Posts
the ls1 line of truck engines (4.8,5.3,6.0) are also know as "vortec"

Fuel injection is superior in every aspect...well besides maybe price

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
The differences in a vortec motor are all in the top end. Mainly the heads. The intake and valve covers are special but just to work with the heads. The reason that the vortec motors run so well is that the heads have a slightly raised intake runner. This produces much better flow and velocity.

Adam

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Fuel injection is not superior when it comes to horsepower! When it comes to drivability it is. That poppit valve port fuel system on those vortecs is cheesy design GM took an already crappy desighn and added to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts