Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just changed my oil. the motor has a solid cam and it had a clogged oil filter from slug. i believe the VR-1 racing oil doesn't have any cleaners in it so i thought i'd add one. i used 5qt vr-1 20/50 to 1qt rislone.

did i make a big mistake adding the rislone?

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
If its full of sludge.........Put 10w30 in it, run it....change oil about 3 times.............

Or, do what my dad did.........2 qts Varsol......2 quarts oil.........run it at an idle for 15 min..................change oil...................I saw him do that, but I wouldnt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
motor isn't that old. i'm guessing 3-5,000 miles. but it looks like the oil was never changes since it clogged the oil filter. i also think that oil was in the car for years since it wasn't driven much.

i'm useing the vr-1 20/50 because of it's zinc level. i had rotella T 15/40 for about 100 miles but was worried about the lower zinc levels it has now.

i'm just worried about taking ou the cam. i knew i should of done a search on it before i put it in and not after.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
20/50 would scare me more than the lack of pressure aditives. GM EOS and 10/30 would make happy engine.

The filter isn't the only place that sludge is sitting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya, i'm thinking of changing it again. i just started the car and i watched the oil pressure as i rev'ed it and it's moving slower than it did with the 15/40 shell rotella T oil.

when i changed the oil the first time from the 20/50 i has quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnetic oil plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.