Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Dodge guy at heart and have owned numerous products from a Ram SRT-10 to a Neon SRT-4. My current project is a 1955 Buick with a 5.7 Hemi out of a 1500 truck. This video walks through the progress of the the Buick.

My other project that has a Dodge swap into it is a little less conventional and is a 1929 Willys Whippet with the drivetrain from a Neon SRT-4 mounted in the trunk. Here is the video for that project so far as well.

Joined here because I am very close to starting the Buick with the Hemi up and am anticipating needing to ask for some help to get everything functioning correctly!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a few more little jobs while waiting for some parts. Worked on beautifying the parts you will pretty much never see because that seemed like a good use of time! It was a lot of work so I drafted in a helper. Let me know if you liked the paint schemes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I didn't realize the work that goes into the filming and editing a video even half ass like mine. It takes twice as long to do the actual task to get lighting, etc setup for it.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,304 Posts
I love crazy engine swaps. One of my first was a Ford 5.0L into an 87 Olds Cutlass. I had the Cutlass back in college and I was starting to hang out with a low-budget drag racing "team." Notice that's in quotes. It was some gearheads that liked to go fast, but not really serious. I never gave it any thought to swapping a Ford into an Olds until my girlfriend at the time wanted to try drag racing with me, but she didn't want to drive the team's 500 hp Nova. Too scary. So I told her to make some practice runs in the 140-hp Cutlass. Her first run she did everything right, but the 200-4r didn't. It gave up the ghost halfway down the track, but her adrenaline and the road noise meant she didn't process it right away. She basically just held her foot to the floor for a few seconds before she realized something was wrong. Many things went wrong inside, but the worst was a rod that broke near the big end, and evidently tried to put a window in the valley, which not only put a full-length crack in the driver's side lifter area, but ripped out part of the main webbing.

I think it was a few days later I saw a message board thread (this was back in the Listserv days) about rear sump pans for Windsors and my brain started ticking.

I got as far as fabbing up mounts and physically dropping it in. I had started routing things like fuel lines and stuff. I recall starting the research of picking a C4 or an AOD to put behind it and one of my buddies offered me good money for the Cutlass. So I took the 302 back out and sold the Cutlass to him. He ended up dropping a Caddy 500 in it.

I put a 425 Nailhead in a 50 Ford for a customer. I did a Caddy 500 in my 66 Bonneville for a while, but now it's getting a Duramax.

One that I always wanted to do... A Maverick with a Suby STI awd drivetrain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have always had a passing interest in putting a Caddilac 500 into a car after I seen Car Craft magazine put one in a Chevette and run 10's or 9's I think in the 90s?

There are lots of guys doing Duramax or Cummins being swapped into cars and I think I might have to try it too!

The Maverick with a STI drivetrain sounds like a great time to work on! I have a idea for a project that I will do eventually which is a Mitsubishi Evo AWD drivetrain into a C1 Corvette.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Somehow in the past 50+ years the fuel filler assembly from the car vanished. I have tried searching for a stock replacement with no luck. I decided to make my own using a generic fuel filler assembly from Amazon, some mandrel bend 2" pipe, and a whole lot of cutting and welding. I am happy with the result other than I need to replace the silicone orange coupler from the tank to the first hard line since silicone isn't fuel rated. I have a rubber piece on the way and will install it before I fill it up for the first time.

Here is the video!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A long time since the last update but I have made a fair bit of progress. Torque converter installed, Engine/Trans dropped in, and getting ready to start! Here is the video:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All moved back into my place. Took quite a few trips with my big heavy 29' trailer but I made it. I am so stoked to be back! I missed the space and all of the tools I had to leave behind. I ended up finding a brand new two post lift a guy was selling because it wouldn't fit into his garage, will make my life alot easier. Will get focused on starting the Buick again soon! Also I have concluded 8 floor jacks are not needed for 1 guy in a home shop.....

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No progress on the Buick yet but I did have some fun with other projects. I worked with my brother to unload his Essex truck and put it into storage. He was working on it for a while but with a growing family he needed more space. The new project was a 1949 Olds, we cleaned it out, and changed out the rear end. His plans are a SBC, 700R4, and air ride suspension. I also worked on finishing the inside of my shop with insulation and drywall. It is a ton of work to do the 16' walls by yourself off a ladder but I am making some decent progress. Winter is coming before we know it so I want to be prepared with insulated walls and a heater.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.