Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1965 Elky with 2 wire, 1 speed wipers, which were working fine. Now when you turn them on, they go up and stop. If you turn off and on again they go down and stop. Every time you put power to the motor it makes 1/2 sweep and stops. There is no mechanical interference visible. When the switch is on the top wire at the wiper motor is hot and the bottom is ground.
The only thing new I have done is add a set of guages, and none of those wires is on that circuit.
Anyone have a similar problem? And a solution, since it rains once a day here.
Thanks, Crash

·
Registered
529 Posts
From my limited expreience with Chevy wiper circuits I learned that there are 2 grounds. If I remember correctly, one is used to "Park" the wipers, and the other is for making them run. I would suggest looking for a ground problem.
JA

·
Registered
529 Posts
The motor is grounded through the mount which, in the absense of the ground wire, is the "Park" ground. The ground wire is, I believe, what makes it run. It's a strange setup, but I made the wipers run by running a ground wire through the switch to the terminal, and had an always hot wire to the other terminal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a Dodge which had a similar problem- traced the problem to a break
in the ground which would make enough contact for one sweep then stop.
Passed the state inspection with it too.... Check your grounds carefully.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Sounds like the Limit switches , internal to the motor are broken, you may need to replace the motor.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
26 Posts
ground

yeah the ground through the mount is important. i have had the same problems with gm cars & trucks. a easy test to check it is run a wire from the negative on the battery to the case of the wiper motor box. if that fixes it, then just tighten the wiper motor case bolts and you are finished.
chez

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wacky wipers

Mine is a 1 speed and no washer, just 2 wires to the motor. I'll check the chassis ground. Thanks Crash

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

One, two or three wire..the switch matrix is still the same for GM types..

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
agree with Doc's first suggestion.....probably a worn/corroded motor

alot of the old wiper motors had a internal circuit breaker for over load protection....

on a single speed 65' Ford wiper motor it was only 5amp!

find out what your circuit breaker is rated at and rig a correct size fuse fused hot wire to the wiper motor....fuse blows=circuit breaker is tripping =to much load

wipers work hot wired= bad switch and/or wiring to the motor

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doc, The wiper motor itself works if you turn the power on and off. In other words the blades go up when you turn the switch on, then stay there until you turn the power off and on again, and then they go down and stop, and so on.
I could run the wipers if I keep switching the power on and off.
Any thoughts? Thanks, Crash

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

The internal limit switches are shot...replace the motor.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
crash,
I agree with Doc, (I just call it a circuit breaker,) it's lost it's "spring" to hold it closed with any heat at all from the amps and the contacts are probably corroded and pitted making more heat and a poor connection

you need a new motor

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
good grief crash...the wiper motor is 42 years old!

sounds like you might have the xmas credit card blues....

you can rebuild it yourself, it is all just parts swapping, if you can find a parts kit

rebuilt 65' Elky single speed wiper motor at the local parts store $72?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, Doc knows it was a joke, with this 65 its one thing after another. But as it turns out I opened the wiper motor box before I ordered a new one, and after cleaning up some rust inside and blowing it out with my compressor, the wipers work better than before. I sealed the box to plate with some silicone and I'm done for free. Crash

1 - 18 of 18 Posts