Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 55 chevy and have a chance at a saginaw. This trans looks longer than i remember back in the 60s. Its also -looks good. Theres no levers on it, and it has three places for these levers, Are these hard to get? And i remember there was the muncie, the T-10 rock crusher, This saginaw is selling for $225.00 this sounds abit to cheap. What can you help me with? and what trans should i hold out for.I'm not going to power shift or anything. just want to get a little rubber once in awhile . help if possible. I remember how much fun the 4-speeds were to drive . I am putting a 350 in the kar bob s

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
I would hold out for Super T-10 if it was mine anyway.JMO :thumbup:
the sag would be ok for awhile but just wouldn't get it for me if i did want to get in it pretty good every now and then. IMHO :mwink:

Cole
:pimp:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Its not so much the type of 4 speed as it is the RATIO.

If you're going to run 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73 you really need a trans with something like 2.50, 2.64 etc for a 1st gear. No 2.20 ratio stuff.
Sag should be fin for what you're doing, although Id have someone open the sidecover and take a look around. Magnus Racing Products in CT handles a lot of new and used Saginaw parts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AutoGear said:
Its not so much the type of 4 speed as it is the RATIO.

If you're going to run 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73 you really need a trans with something like 2.50, 2.64 etc for a 1st gear. No 2.20 ratio stuff.
Sag should be fin for what you're doing, although Id have someone open the sidecover and take a look around. Magnus Racing Products in CT handles a lot of new and used Saginaw parts

thank you for the magnus info. I jUST visited their site they show a saginaw------with no third lever on the side for reverse.Somebody said to beware of some of these saginaw 4-speeds! ring a bell with you.or anybody??? bob s

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Silver Surfer said:
GM also used an New Process A883 transmission in the 80's. I heard that this was originally used on Dodges, then ported over to GM. It is a 4 speed, but 4th is over-drive. They are also cheap! :thumbup:

http://www.classicjunkyard.com/new_process_a833.htm

that is some great info....i would imagine being harder to find as compare to the muncie.Did the middle 60s vette have muncie 4-speed in them?My old 65 vette was a great shifting trans and she was better at shifting it than i was.muncie is most likely what i'l do, with the stock stick rear end thats already there. bob s just finfing a good one and a decent price i guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.