Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well here it goes, im building a mild 406 for my 81 el camino and i know its going to put down some serious torque so what im wondering is when my current rear end goes 7.5" (im sure it will eventually) what will i need to do this conversion?

has anybody here done it?

is there some websites i can visit to learn more about the conversion?

and my dad might be interested in doing the same in his 69 elky

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Most of the coil spring Fords will be way too wide with mounts in wrong place and the leaf spring rears will be too wide plus you would have to fab all the brackets. A large undertaking..

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Several manufacturers are making the 9" with all the mounts welded in the correct place that will mount up to a G-body.These cars are becoming real popular with street and race scene and the manufacturer is beginning to notice. http://maliburacing.com/

Check the FAQ on this site.It will give you countless amounts of info on your G-Body.There is a forum for specific questions on the G-body.You can go to the links and find makers of everything for them,except interior components.For some reason,jerk around companies are not making replacement parts yet.I wish they would WAKE UP!!!Currie has a direct bolt-in.Upgrade your arms with a good box set and get away from the crappy GM pieces.Also install some Poly bushings in there.DIRTFT.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Bracketeer,did you weld your set-up or buy the fabricated unit. I can tell I will be talking to you on alot of things when summer rolls into town and I start getting the bug again with my Malibu. That blue looks good on there man.:thumbup:

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
rear end

Its a Moser prefab. 39 spline axles. Aluminum center section with 4.71 gears. Detroit Locker with a Daytona pinion carrier. Full through bolt carrier caps. Weighs 45 lbs less than a nodular case.
Southside Machine lower bars.
If you start welding on a rear end housing and you warp it. You got problems!
Oh! The pretty blue matches the car.

·
Its just metal,you're the boss
264 Posts
im about to attempt the same thing, my plan is to have 31 spline axle narrowed to the correct width and to build a jig off of my current axle, then remove the mounts i can and weld them onto the 9 inch and fabricate the upper control arm mounting points....i know i saw a web site where a guy did this but i havent been able to find it. i have to go as i am abotuto go look at an axle for this project. try looking around www.montecarloss.com. more on the subject when i return

·
Administrator
9,806 Posts
Please read the dates on threads you find when a search is performed.....

this thread is 2 years old.

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts