Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm searching for a paint 'formula'/product/sequence to get a dazzling bright 'true'/primary yellow large flake lacquer, certainly no milkyness and a heap of depth.

HOK once had a yellow flake but perhaps it was not popular or it didn't look so good - it was discontinued.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Advice welcome :welcome:

Cheers

David

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's hard to find because yellow is so transparent that adding any flake to it muddies it up.To make it bright be sure to use the lightest primer/sealer you can
cause unless your going to put more than five coats on it , covering dark primer is almost impossible.

Fitzter
www.autorefinishers.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fitzter,

I'm no expert in this - very much research in progress, thanks for your thoughts.

Are there clear non-colored flakes that don't refract and add hue?

The thought is to get internal reflections happening that are 'white light', no hue changes, that would increase reflectivity and go through semi-transparent (clear doped with yellow) layers.

I would imagine the quality of the yellow pigment/dye would be crucial. A pure single pigment yellow (Cadmium or an Azo pigment?) mixed with clear rather than a multi-color yellow. Any paint chemists here? I don't much fancy playing around with cadmium due to it's toxicity.

The paint shop I think used three or four different colors to get the existing yellow - this might be fine for a base but would muddy up I'd imagine if diluted in clear.

Am I on the right track here anyone? Is it no coincidence that I've never seen a bright yellow flake paint job and it's all in my head? The machinations of the ignorant? :confused:

Cheers

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
maybe pearl

I just did a mustang -I used screamin yellow 06 ford then gave it 2 coats of gold pearl on top and then cleared over that .it stayed clean and crisp. this pearl is actually gold color powder not the white paste or white powder type it was an "endura" brand product.there is a pic in my gallery but it doesn't show it very well but i will try to get a closeup of the paint. it doesn't look tacky it just gives the yellow a little more life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rodnik,

much appreciated. Got me thinking about gold dust :D

It's tricky to do good photography of paint effects.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
here are a couple ideas you can kick around. you can use a grey primer/sealer or even a yellow tinted sealer as a good ground coat, the tinted sealer will even help you save on the amount of paint you'll use cause it'll cover quicker,plus if you get a nick in your paint it won't jump out at ya like it would with a grey primer. now as for the paint side of it ,IMO,I would put down some chrome yellow base and then i would use some dry flake(your choice of color)and put in some intercoat clear and apply this until you get the desired effect. And then i would apply my clear coat (a few good coats)and this will ensure that when you wet sand you wont be nibbing the flakes causing what will look like imperfections in your paint. Good luck to ya and have fun with it however you choose to do it . :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Prmary color yellow :confused: isn't something I've seen found in a flake or pearl, these additives usually lean to the gold side of yellow.

You might want to try some test panels using a pure white base then apply some white ice pearl then coat with a gold candy, I would think it might be bright enough for you and offer some good sparkle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts