Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to check to see if you frame is warped? I have everything off it (front clip, cab, and bed). It doesn’t seemed warped but how can I verify it?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Measure in a x from the drivers to passenger side. A good thick tape measure is needed here. A helper that can hold the end in tge same point as the other side will make this go faster.

There will be points/holes on the frame that are the same from the factory that you can use as a refrence. If you have holes you can often insert a bolt/washers/nut into these holes and once tightened down will give you a easier point to hook to going over obstructions.

After a few hours of measuring using this X method using frame holes or frame points will get you within 1/16" of square.

If your more then 1/8, measure again. If still off lets say 1/2" then you have some work to do. Do not hook onto suspension items and make sure your on as level ground as possible. Having the frame on jack stands will help avoid the thing flexing due to the uneven floors.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Choose critical measurement points . use a plumb bob to transfer those points to the floor . measure accurately between points . This will can be used to determine if the frame is not square or straight in the horizontal plane , it will not show if the frame is off in the vertical plane , that's a lot more common & a lot more work to find & repair !In the past we used tram gauges , now everything is lasers .

·
Registered
327 Posts
My preferred method is to use a tram gauges. They are basically rods with adjustable pointers. Like said, find reference holes in frame. Set tram to fit in holes diagonally from each other then use the set tram to check holes diagonally opposite of the hole you set the gauge too. Factory frames tolerances were not that close. 1/4' or under is close enough.
This is a tram gauge sold on Ebay. It has enough details to give you aa pretty good idea how to use one. Plus if you are fairly handy and have some scrap metal laying around you should be able to make one for yourself fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Here's an old timer's way of checking for frame twist. When you measure the diagonals use those same frame holes and tie strings diagonally pulled tight. If the strings touch in the middle it's not twisted. If not, you have some work to do.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Plumbob, digital angle finder, very long level.
You need the measurments of the straight frame before you do frame work to match the new locations.

So before you remove anything do a x then check for it being sides being upright by using a level and a angle finder that stores memory.
Now using the plumbob mark a dot on your floor.

Now add your braces then 1" tacks everything before removing your temporary braces. The thing will spring back. Now check your old measurments to the new frame.

Ratchet straps are sometimes enough to pull or push these. But if not hydraulics and some heat will do. Using some 3/4 threaded rod and double bolts will keep things from moving when you need to reposition the strap or ram.
Then add your gussets welding them (these finalize the frame) then remove your bracing and the frame should be near perfect. Now you can weld your boxes 2" at a time moving around.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plumbob, digital angle finder, very long level.
You need the measurments of the straight frame before you do frame work to match the new locations.

So before you remove anything do a x then check for it being sides being upright by using a level and a angle finder that stores memory.
Now using the plumbob mark a dot on your floor.

Now add your braces then 1" tacks everything before removing your temporary braces. The thing will spring back. Now check your old measurments to the new frame.

Ratchet straps are sometimes enough to pull or push these. But if not hydraulics and some heat will do. Using some 3/4 threaded rod and double bolts will keep things from moving when you need to reposition the strap or ram.
Then add your gussets welding them (these finalize the frame) then remove your bracing and the frame should be near perfect. Now you can weld your boxes 2" at a time moving around.
I have to say, yo completely lost me with this method. I can’t even picture it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts