Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old bottle is ugly and I was looking to replace it, although I cant really find anything suitable... Everything is ethier to small, to bulky, or to expensive... any suggestions on where to find a decent washer fluid bottle? Basicly anything would work... but im picky

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Haven't done it yet, but I am looking to do the same thing on my project, thinking about using 1 quart catch can and an in-line pump. Check Summit or Jeg's catalogs for ideas....

·
Registered
84 Posts
arch said:
Old bottle is ugly and I was looking to replace it, although I cant really find anything suitable... Everything is ethier to small, to bulky, or to expensive... any suggestions on where to find a decent washer fluid bottle? Basicly anything would work... but im picky

Theres some good looking after market
bottles out there. What are you mouting it to. Make of car / truck ?

Then I can more than likely point you in the right direction.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Don't know which car you're considering, but you can usually find such things on EBay...just need to wait.

If it's a newer car, what about the dealer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh, dealer only has replacement parts... no good...
Car: 80s camaro

I've been trhough every catalog I have and every online place I can think of... nothing has really caught my eye... I was thinking about the quart catch cans, but I was hoping for more than a quart of washer fluid, not to mention the shape is a little odd for placement...

That semi-clear/white plastic is disgusting...

I wanted to possibly mount it inside the fender on either side

The more hidden and larger, the better...

·
Registered
84 Posts
arch said:
Eh, dealer only has replacement parts... no good...
Car: 80s camaro

I've been trhough every catalog I have and every online place I can think of... nothing has really caught my eye... I was thinking about the quart catch cans, but I was hoping for more than a quart of washer fluid, not to mention the shape is a little odd for placement...

That semi-clear/white plastic is disgusting...

I wanted to possibly mount it inside the fender on either side

The more hidden and larger, the better...

Have you tried Classic Industries.

I bought a nice looking quart size can made of
plastic ( flat black ) from Classic. Its actually an overflow tank
for the radiator but works great for my washer fluid.

Of course my 72 Nova never sees the rain or snow
so the quart size is more for show than go.

www.classicindustries.com

PH: 800-854-1280

·
Registered
568 Posts
My 2000 truck's washer fluid bottle is completely hidden.

Reason I mention this is, depending on your setup, you could mount any ugly old bottle (or several of them piped in series) somewhere out of site (in the fender, behind the radiator support,etc.) and simply fab up a fill tube that would be the only part of the system visible.

If you really wanted to get creative, go to Home Depot and get PVC tubing. You can get that stuff as large as 8" diameter, but 4" or smaller would probably be better. Its easy to work with, and easy to assemble into whatever you want/need.

You can get caps to match that would allow you to make your own tank at whatever size fits the space, or build several and connect them with PVC fittings to increase the capacity (join them with tubing large enough that fluid transfer doesn't take forever or you'll be standing over the fill with a jug of fluid for hours waiting for the tanks to drain into each other).

As long as you properly prep and glue the joints, it will be watertight. I'd use as large of a pump as I could find on the lower-most tank. Also, investing in an anti-drainback valve would be good, especially if you mount the tank(s) low.

I don't know if PVC can be painted - I imagine it can. Some of the caps at Home Depot have a nice crown on them. You might even be able to fab something up that you wouldn't mind having visible...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, tried classic industries, nothing really caught my eye... (have one of thier catalogs as well)

hmmm.... pvc... now ya got me thinking....
I guess my only objection to that is the fact of how cheap PVC looks... yeah it can be painted like any plastic...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree that PVC looks cheap. Personally, I'd only use it for a hidden application.

Its a lot more expensive, and I don't know if its compatible with washer fluid, but you could also try and locate some large diameter copper tubing. There was some big stuff used for gutters in the past. Or you could use sheet.

The reason I mention copper is its easy to form and to solder into a watertight container, plus fittings are readily available.

Assuming its compatible with washer fluid, I don't see any reason you couldn't fab something and paint it like any other metal with the proper primer.

Of course, you could also fab something up out of any metal and weld/braze it as appropriate. It would definitely be good metal-forming practice!

Another alternative might be to obtain some clear sheet plastic, like lexan. McMaster Carr is one (sorta expensive) source (www.mcmaster.com). You can gently heat lexan to form it (within reason), and then I believe it can be solvent joined and polished. You'd probably be limited to simple curves, although I've heard that with very careful heat control, it can be formed into "bubbles". Might consider using a clear plastic as a window on anything else you fab up too and join it with silicone sealant for watertightness.

You're only limited by time and your imagination, although I wouldn't go completely overboard on a washer fluid bottle :D

If you can do it, one piece of advice I have is to make the total capacity a little bit over a gallon. It really sucks filling the reservoir, only to have 1/4 of a gallon of fluid still in the bottle that you either have to keep on the shelf (which won't be enough next time) or have it roll around the trunk.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,781 Posts
If it's going to be hidden anyway, why care fo much about looks? Find out WHERE you can hide it first, then just get something to fill the available space. A gallon milk jug under a fender and behind the liner (you should have a plastic fender liner) will work just fine as long as it fits in the space! :D

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
The one on my SHO mounts inside the fender,large and completely out of sight except for the fill neck and cap on it.Any Taurus would be the same.Mine is a 91,but that type was used between 89 and 93.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
go to a u-pull-it yard and find a regular white poly washer bottle the shape and size you want.

sand it with 320 grit paper

spray it any color you want with Krylon "Fusion" it's paint specifically for plastics. Walmarts got it, $4? a can

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow... great suggestions... Now I have to figure out which one will work best.... Thanks everyone, thanks alot...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
arch,

be "original"
+
be "creative"
----------------
"hot rodding"

use all the above suggestions on a single bottle and post a picture !!

might start a new "show" trophy catagory....."best bottle"

hey, that gave me an idea.....a baby bottle with a nipple...good for a laugh

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Take your old one to a metal shop and have one tig welded up from aluminum, then popish the crap out of it.
A suggestion for a remote hidden one is to get the filler tube from the rear washer on a Dodge Caravan. I think it has a long flexible tube.
Also, a friend of mine modified the accumulator from a GM a/c. Nice looking aluminum cylinder shape with spherical ends.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts