Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until now I've always scrubbed and brush rodded out my own blocks prior to a rebuild. This time, however, I had a substantial amount of machine work done, splayed caps, clearancing, etc., and the shop returned my block with cam bearings installed.

They claim to have totally cleaned the block and all passages, but....well, remember S-10's problems?

Will I damage the bearings if I clean the block myself with mild dish soap, being careful not to scratch or otherwise damage the actual bearing surfaces? Is is unreasonable to remove the bearings and re-install them (I have all the correct tools)? I suspect not as they are somewhat 'sized' to their bores once installed.

If there are issues, I will simply buy another set, but I do want to clean the block myself if for no other reason to give myself the 'warm and fuzzies'.

Larry

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I cleaned mine that way and as long as you're careful not to nick a bearing with your brush and you blow dry them really good when you're done you shouldn't have any problems.

Centerline

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Remove the cam galley plugs and take the block to the local car wash. Wear a slicker suit and spend about five or six bucks cleaning and rinsing the block. As long as you do not touch the cam bearings with a metal brush you will not harm them. Take the block home and air blow it dry.

Vince

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
bearings

If it were me i would remove the bearings and then wash your block. You have the correct tool to do it so you are really not out anything. Where i see a problem is,,, if for some reason there is some debris in the passages you could wash it into the groove behind the bearings and it would stay there untill the fresh new oil passes through it and washes it out over your new cam....

Just my opinion,,Keith

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
I always tank my block, wash it, buff the bearing bores and passages, install the cam bearings and then wash the block again.

I do this because you end up "skinning" a small amount of bearing material off of the OD of the cam bearing, and a small amount of that winds up in the oil groove behind the bearings.

If you are unsure about the cleanliness behind the bearings, remove them. Even new cam bearings are cheap cheap cheap, so if you want to sleep, take em out, clean it, and either reinstall with a little loctite or just reinstall another set of cam bearings.

Brian

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
I just use hot water and dawn dish soap at home if it has already been cleaned at the machine shop. I like to hone my own, so I give it a good cleaning afterwords. It's the car wash if it hasn't been cleaned good.

Troy

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You can clean your block with warm soapy water and it will not hurt th ecam bearings at all. If you can trust the machine shop to bore, splay, balance, etc.. but don't trust them when they say the block was cleaned well, then you might want to find a new shop.

I would remove the galley plugs if they installed them and run a rifle brush through them. Then again you could ask them to remove the cam bearings take it home clean the block then take it back and have the bearing pressed in (new bearings of course). Personally I would clean the block with warm soapy water, rinse it well, spray it down with WD-40 (to displace the water and prevent flash rust on the machined surfaces). Assemble the engine and enjoy.

Royce

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
NAIRB said:
Even new cam bearings are cheap cheap cheap....
Back the cam bearing mobile up there NAIRB. They're not cheap if your buying them for an early Hemi. At $60 a set they're more like gold!:)

Centerline

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, lots of guys up and about early today!

Royce, I trust the machine shop, it's just a personal thing I guess, just seems like cheap insurance to hit it one last time. Fortunately, they tapped all of the galleys so I have easy access. My old trusted shope closed it's doors so I didn't let the new (but very well known in these parts) machine shop do the work until I had discussed in detail what I wanted and came to an agreement on the processes, clearances, etc.

I just got to thinking about S-10's wiped bearings and the money invested is all.

Thanks to all, Larry

·
brains
1,009 Posts
I had the same problem as s-10 before, a dirty block, when I went to the machine shop they told me it was my responsability to make sure the block was clean as I was the assembler. I would take the bearings out and clean it, but thats just me, Im sure S-10 is going to be doing the same here forward. Since I have been cleaning my own blocks, I have found quite a few that were not clean after coming from the machine shop.

Ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts