Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
bentwings
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those timeless words we use when we want to impress our friends, GFs and others with our hot rods.

Let's hear your "Watch This" stories that turned out to be something you'd rather nobody saw. :embarrass

Here is my buddy's and my classic.
Summer of 1961. I just got home from playing baseball and my buddy calls and says "hey come up I just got the rod running again" He had a 39 Ford with a 55 Olds motor. Pretty hot car in it's day. So I jump in my 54 Olds and head up to his place. His 39 is all shined up and ready for Sat afternoon cruise. We jump in and back out into the semi busy street. He revs it up a couple times and pulls it into 1st gear. (39 Ford top loader.. very weak)

And then those fatefull words, "Watch This..."
rrumm, rruummm rrrruuuummmm 5000 rpm and he let's out the clutch. BANK,BOOM CLAMK, CRUNCH. The car didn't even move but parts flew all over street. There was a big pool of very dark oil right in the middle of the street. So we jump out and start pushing the 39 back into the driveway. His dad is sitting on the front pourch clapping his hands and says "Nice show boys".
Well we did a quick check and sure enough the 39 transmission is totally gone except for top loader shifter and a couple of bent bolts on the bellhousing and torque tube with casting hanging on them. Since the junk yards closed early on Sat we jumped in my Olds and rushed down to the local yard. We picked up another transmission for about $25 (big money in those days as we only made $1.50/hr at the gas stations) and headed home to install it. A couple hours later it was done. So we hopped back in the 39 and started it up. We go to back out of the garage and CLUMK MASH, CHUNK. Oh no the rear end is shot too!! So much for cruising that week end.

Give us some laughs at your "Watch this" stories.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Last summer I am on the on-ramp for the Interstate. As I hit the bottom of the ramp and am parallel to the main lanes, I am right next to a Ryder truck with a couple of honeys in it. :thumbup: They are looking, pointing, and giggling. I let them get enough in front of me, and drop the hammer. As I get even with the cab, I mash the clutch, grab 4th, and release the clutch. At least that was the plan. Somewhere just south of neutral, but nowhere near 4th, the piston knob shifter I have comes off in my hand. As my right foot hits the floor, there is this God awful sound sort of like a blender full of nuts and bolts. My Muncie has no idea what to do! I actually think it was crying. I just pull off at the next exit, go home, and park the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whatch This.....

I learnd a valuble lesson on showing off after making adjustments, don't do it untill you try it w/ nobody watching first. My 74 nova was great at one wheel wonders, but both is better, so I welded the spiders. Its a strong motor and good trans so it still had no problem lay'n rubber or so i thought, so drove down to the local bunout competition. get in front of all those people little brake alot of gas no spinn tires. the rear brakes grabbed too much (or at least one of them, proble the one that wasn't spinning before the gears got welded) the engine just booged down and i sat there head hang'n. they did let loose when i took off, but i didn't look good just sittn there. :spank:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Was in the Corps, stationed at Tustin MCAS (Orange County, CA). A Sgt buddy of mine was departing for a 6 month cruise to the Gulf around 4pm, and asked me to keep his '93 Mustang that we'd hopped up (cold air kit, subframe connectors, strut tower brace, gears, etc).

We closed the shop for the day & had a party at the beach at noon for him & the others leaving.

They left.

When the party was over, I hopped in the 'stang & figured I'd rip one off since everyone was loading up. Wound her up & dropped the clutch. Proceeded to break the T5 case in half & shred half the innards with EVERYONE watching & knowing it was his rig that he'd left in my 'capable' hands.

Ended up towing it to the Auto Shop on base, finding a World Class T5 in the Recycler, rebuilding it, and installing it with a short throw shifter & HP clutch. Test drove it gently and parked it until he returned...

Of course, it was the first story he heard from everyone when he returned. :embarrass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts