Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the "max temp for 350 SBC" thread finding it interesting. What I've been wondering about is water temp vs oil temp. My daily driver (GTI) runs a consistent 200 degree water temp no matter what the ambient air temp is (must be well engineered). On the other hand my oil temp runs significantly higher and does vary. Generally it runs at 220 degrees but if i push it a bit i can easily get it to 230 degrees. So water temp 200 degrees, oil at 230. Not really concerned at all but just curious as to for those running gauges for both water temp and oil temps what the difference is? Wondering if there would be much difference between iron block vs alum block V8. Big block vs small block Chevy etc. I realize there are way to many variables to make any real comparison and the energy output (HP) may be the biggest factor. Just curious as to what others find for differential between oil and water temps. Big block (454's) that i have had put out massive amounts of heat compared to the LS3 i currently have, no idea what the oil temps were.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My 2015 BMW 328i had an oil temp gauge and IIRC it ran in the 220 range when warmed up. It was also a source of confusion for many owners, since they didn’t read the label and realize it was oil, not water temp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oil temp can vary considerably depending on the driving conditions (RPM steady vs up and down), oil volume, and water temperature. Oil cools the surfaces as well as lubricating them. Extended high RPM will result in higher oil temperatures.

While oil and water temps are not directly related an extreme over heat will cause oil temp to go up. Aside of that, as long as the cooling system is functioning properly your oil temperature will directly reflect load you are putting on the engine. With conventional oil 250 is the "red flag" area, synthetics will still function properly at much higher temperatures.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Generally it runs at 220 degrees but if i push it a bit i can easily get it to 230 degrees.
Its simply that when you "push it a bit" you create more heat cycles and the heat has to transfer somewhere. The part going to the head which is the hottest part of the engine is engineered to have water/coolant as a medium to quickly carry that additional heat away. The oiling system on the other hand (usually) has no variable/additional medium to carry the extra heat away . It still must rely on transfering thru the same surfaces and into the air. So its normal to get warmer. Adding an oil cooler like many factory engines do should keep the temperature lower. Its the same thing with an automatic transmission that sees harsh duty, they add a heat exchanger to cope with the additional heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.