Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
App 8-10 years ago, early in the building process of my hot rod I bought a new water pump. First engine start this autumn showed that the the pump leaks.
I've heard that it's probably because of dry out gaskets.
It's an Allstar Performance aluminum pump. Chevy Small block engine.

What do you suggest? Buy a new pump, or buy a back plate gasket kit and replase this?
Will the axle gasket dry out over this period of time as well?

I'm not able to see if the leak comes from only the back plate gasket, or from the hole below the axle as well.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
No doubt the seals have gone away. If you can get the replacement seals and have a puller and press to remove/replace the impeller or hub, you can rebuild it. Otherwise, it's junk.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I live in Norway, swapping pumps is not an option due to high shipping costs.

What aluminum pump do you recommend, then?
3/4" Corvette pilot diameter?
Standard volume or high volum?

The engine sits in a '34 Ford roadster. It has an electric fan, no power steering, no AC. 6 speed manual trans.

I'm considering a Weiand Action plus aluminum pump. Other/better alternatives?

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I have a Stewart water pumps on my SB Ford - and it sat for 9 years without a leak at first startup in 2009 or since. Not cheap, but some are widely used in NASCAR so do have a reputation for reliability: Stage 1: Stewart Components, Inc.

My second choice would have been the Edelbrock

Tough being on the 'wrong' side of the Atlantic for common performance parts :pain:

Dave W

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Norway is not in the EEC, if you were using the Euro it would´nt be so bad.

1 USD = 0.775981 EUR 1 EUR = 1.28869 USD :D

1 USD = 5.69346 NOK 1 NOK = 0.175640 USD :mad:

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
my guess is the shaft seal will be standard sbc for that sized shaft..
shipping for that seal should not be all that bad .
if it's not the back cover gasket.. get the shaft seal and pull it apart. you got nothing to loose, other than a dollar or two for a new seal and some of your time..

can't imagine them reinventing the wheel when they made that pump..

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Jegs is way more expensive for us in Europe on shipping, last time I looked only FedEx.
Summit offers more options on shipping, the "i parcel" option is
great, taxes are paid, delivered to your door no hassle.
Here USPS is good until it hits Spanish customs, takes as long to
clear customs as it did to cross the Atlantic, plus the paperwork you have to do is a pain.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden Finland, Denmark) we have a company called JetCarrier.
They offer a free "mailbox" in their storehouse in NJ where they collect my stuff, ship it to Norway, take care of the customs and paperwork, and ship it to me from the Norwegian custom port.
All this in a very short time, 100% legal and to a very reasonable price.

And the NJ address is manned, so I can order from US stores that don't ship to mailbox addresses.
The only stores I can't order from, are the ones that claims a US credit card account, or simply writes that they don't want to sell to foreigners.

I ended up order a Weiand Action Plus water pump.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Jegs is way more expensive for us in Europe on shipping, last time I looked only FedEx.
Summit offers more options on shipping, the "i parcel" option is
great, taxes are paid, delivered to your door no hassle.
Here USPS is good until it hits Spanish customs, takes as long to
clear customs as it did to cross the Atlantic, plus the paperwork you have to do is a pain.
That's interesting. I don't know who is cheaper here in the US, Jegs or Summit. But here, either place will match the other's prices. The last thing I bought that I bothered doing a price check between the two was a 4779 Holley, ~ 2 months ago. Summit was ~$1.00 cheaper, so I'd say the price differences are basically a wash and the winner is whoever you like best for reasons other than price.

I don't ask mail order parts houses for tech info, so that's not a selling point either way for me. I do think the Summit online catalog is easier to navigate and has more complete info, and their paper catalog is enough better than Jegs that I will use Summit, if for no other reason. Even though I don't much care for Greg Anderson. lol

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I´m only talking about shipping, I see that Summit will ship "free" to US destinations.
Another rant for me is Summit will not ship some electrical goods, no sealers or glues and no shock absorbers or struts.
I´m getting a set of struts and rear shocks from RockAuto no problem.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
App 8-10 years ago, early in the building process of my hot rod I bought a new water pump. First engine start this autumn showed that the the pump leaks.
I've heard that it's probably because of dry out gaskets.
It's an Allstar Performance aluminum pump. Chevy Small block engine.

What do you suggest? Buy a new pump, or buy a back plate gasket kit and replase this?
Will the axle gasket dry out over this period of time as well?

I'm not able to see if the leak comes from only the back plate gasket, or from the hole below the axle as well.
Allstar Performance 8300 Lane Dr., Watervliet MI 49098
Phone: (269) 463-8000 Fax (800) 772-2618 www.allstarperformance.com

hope this helps,

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I have used Summit for years and is familiar with their home page.

Jeg's is probably just as good.
Every time I try Jegs and I always price check big items just end up frustrated with their crappy search engine where they throw unrelated parts on the list with really no easy way to narrow it down. While I do have some of their parts on my car, the majority have come from Summit, Speedway, Yogi's etc just because of the crappy way Jeg's does their search and parts displays. Prices are generally within a dollar or so. I guess it's all in what you get used to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.