Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Blowin' it
717 Posts
With a good base coat/clear coat, you can pretty much wash it after a couple of days. The people in body shops are color sanding and buffing the following day after painting. Although, it does depend on how it is cured. A good paint booth is heated.

· Blowin' it
717 Posts
Hey your right, 30 days is an excellent rule of thumb before washing and waxing, but do you actually think that the body shops and custom paint places will color sand and buff, then let the compounds sit for 30 more days? No they do not. It all depends on the type of paint used and how it is cured. Even though heat cured always seems (to me) to look the best prior to buffing. It will not hurt the paint, unless you are using something along the lines of lets say acrylic enamel, but that is becoming less common.

· Blowin' it
717 Posts
That is correct. When I get my car finished, which will be paint, it will not be color sanded and buffed right away either. I work with acrylic urethanes myself, and grew up in the auto body business and custom cars. I am not an expert in anyway, but I know what is safe and what is not. I know you shouldn't use solvents and the sort, but the evaporation of escaping paint solvents in today's paint systems is much quicker.

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: 41willys ]</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.