Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidently got some wax and grease remover on some bare ABS plastic that I just sanded all the old paint off with 80 grit. The ABS turned a greenish color and its really slick. Almost like a wet oily feel??? I tried hitting it with 80 grit again and it just slides around, doesn't cut in. What can I do to get this back to the way it was before I got the wax and grease remover on it?

Thanks
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Abs should not have done this but that is the main problem today is a plastic marked ABS or say PP may no longer be a true copy.
I read not to long ago that there were over 120 different versions call PP and way more for TPO and TEO climbing fast.

Try this mix about 50/50 alcohol (rubbing) and warm water and if you have around the house a slug if ammonia 1-3% is all by volume.
Wipe a spot and dry with a clean rag after it sets for 30 seconds, if there is an improvement in that spot than do the whole panel a few times or as long as it keeps getting better.
If it works when you are done do not coat the panel for a few hours to let all solvents out.
Hopefully it will work but try a small spot first.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I screwed up. The piece in question is the front facia and its made out of Polypropylene. It has >PP< stamped on it.

The area in question still hasn't "dried out" enough for the sandpaper to actually cut again yet.

I haven't tried your suggestion yet Barry. Should I do something different for >PP<?

Greg

·
Registered
717 Posts
thats strange. pp should be a very chemical resistant plastic. usually you should be able to wipe it down with acetone directly and not have it bite into it. none of that matters though at this point since you have the problem. try barry's recomendation, if that doesn't do it put a little heat on it for a while. dont get it real hot. maybe like a halogen work lamp about 8 - 12 inches away. get it good and warm for a couple few hours then let cool down and see what its like.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I agree with Jim, Polypropylene shouldn't absorb anything out of Wax and Grease remover. The alchol trick Barry suggested should help dry it back out. Or time and heat like Jim says. When you do get it cleaned be sure to use an adhesion promoter designed for PP before you apply any coatings. PP can be one of the toughest plastics to paint, sometimes waving an open flame over the bare plastic for a little while before applying the adhesion promoter helps a lot. It's a greasy plastic but it'll take paint if prepped properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts