Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone tell me the weight on the rear wheels of an '86 Corvette?
I am using the rear suspension of that Corvette under another vehicle and need that info to choose my springs/shocks.
Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Wouldn't you be more concerned with the rear weight of the vehicle you are puting that suspension under? I understand that if they were the same (corvette and your vehicle) you might not have to change anything, but your springs should be sized for the target vehicle. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Actually the spring rate may need to be adjusted to the application. I changed my spring rate because the new more powerful engine made the car squat really bad under hard acceleration. The height is still the same,just a rougher ride

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldn't you be more concerned with the rear weight of the vehicle you are puting that suspension under? I understand that if they were the same (corvette and your vehicle) you might not have to change anything, but your springs should be sized for the target vehicle. Just my $.02.
Indeed, you are right, I am simply hoping that the rear weights of the 2 vehicles would be close enough that I can keep the Corvette parts.
Does not look like it though, the Vette rear is going under my '57 Suburban which weighs about 1945lbs (about 300 lbs more than the Vette) on the rear wheels... Bummer. More thinking is needed, as I do not really like the looks of coil-overs...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
many places like corvette specialties can supply any spring/rate for any corvette.
Well, this is very cool, thanks! I had heard about custom-rate Corvette springs but had never looked into it yet. I am glad it is actually available. I did not understand that you had changed the springs on a Vette rear, Vinnie.

·
Registered
96 Posts
May try looking up VB&P I have installed about everything they have for my 87 and couldn't be happier they have different spring dares and there all new. Just FYI if you swap out selenite and nick the epoxy coating on any of the composit Mono springs the spring will be short lived and will rot out. It fix the squat you'll need eather the adjustable 4 links from VB&P or a set of modified mounts from Doug rippie but there far and few between and you'll likely benefit from the adjustable links. That rear end is called a 5 link but is set up not much different than a 4 also what kind of power are you looking to put to the ground? The Dana 36 ( from a automatic donor car) is good for about 400 up reliably and the Dana 44 (manual donor car) is good for about 150 up more. They can be beefed up but I would only consider a rear end from a manual

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
that 3239 is close to actual.The corvettes are getting fat again,not to mention SQUARE TAIL LIGHTS
Not to drive this thread off topic but the 84-96 C4 Corvettes could be had with square tail lights if it was a LT5, LT4 or LT1 powered car. Also, the curb weight for the C6 corvette is around 3,300lbs. The C7 weighs less.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Not to drive this thread off topic but the 84-96 C4 Corvettes could be had with square tail lights if it was a LT5, LT4 or LT1 powered car. Also, the curb weight for the C6 corvette is around 3,300lbs. The C7 weighs less.
took an 07 vette over a scale,it was almost 3700 pounds of fat pig!
My 84 was almost 200 pounds more than my current 81.not worth arguing over,I was just not happy to see how heavy my cars were when I weighed them.even my 65 Acadian was 3060, with a 283 and my 67 chevyII was just over 3000 with a 6
registration was a long ways under actual

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how about you use the springs you have and get a beefy set of shocks with helper springs?
That is what I am hoping to do but I am worried that the Corvette spring would be way too stiff...
What do you guys think, the rear of the Suburban is about 300lbs heavier than the rear of an '86 Corvette, how would the ride be? I would be OK with a ride a bit stiff, kind of like a modern German sedan, but I do not want to destroy my kidneys!! My current old springs feel like a pick up truck, too harsh for comfort.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
the best example and explanation is in the moog catalogue for cargo coils. Basically its a tapered spring that starts out soft in the first part of deflection and stiffens as it is compressed more and thicker part of the spring is called upon to support the weight.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just thinking, in my town, there is a place that actually makes steel leaf springs: they can custom make the rate, the size... Maybe I should go and talk to them to see if they can help me, if they can make me a replacement spring that will give me the correct rate, ride height...
Any thoughts on that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.