Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy has a weiland tunnel ram for cheap like 150.Don't come with any gaskets,don't think.Kinda curiuos on street ability on this tr.It looks newer,but can only find the tops online forsale.How good do you guys think it would run on a mild 302 chevy motor?Are these tr bad about running lean on the corner cylinders?If its a deal i want to jump on it.Maybe one of you guys have owned one of the weiland 5984.I want the engine to be barley streetable.I don't even have car for it yet,but motor will take few years to build,just want to get alot the parts as i go.I already found a 67 327 block.

And i know most you guys gonna say build 350 or 400,but im going with 302.any imput be great.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
There's no L in "Weiand" ...... a tunnel ram can be used on the street IF you have the right parts combo and really know how to tune your set up. just cobbling up a bunch of random parts is not the way to build an engine.......you need a plan.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no L in "Weiand" ...... a tunnel ram can be used on the street IF you have the right parts combo and really know how to tune your set up. just cobbling up a bunch of random parts is not the way to build an engine.......you need a plan.
I was really seeking value of the weiand ram,because i figured i could resale on ebay for atleast 250,but cant find any value on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll start a new thread later on the 302.Figured id buy the 327 first,the 67 327's must be rare,then i was going to get the 283 crank,and go from there,really want all forged stuff.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I offered dude a 100 for it,but never heard back.I don't think tunnel ram work good anyway,maybe crossram,but there like 700.Nice high rise be nice,i'm just not too forsure on these ones there selling on ebay for like 200,they sure look clean,but do they flow.I probaly do need to get a blue print together,and figure out whats needed.i'd figure i'd build the bottom strong,then do top later on.They had nice single carb tunnel ram the other day a 360,but found out had lean issues so im gonna stay with just the high rise.What you guys think about the qjets?Thats what i want on mine.Do you guys think the 60's qjets had bigger secondaries?I've run across some nice threads on how to soop them qjets up.I'm just not fan on holleys seem like they belong on a ford.

·
Proud LOSER
2,185 Posts
Qjets are great, for someone with a deep pool of knowledge to tune one for a "barely streetable" combo....no offense meant, but you don't fall into that category. Oh and 2 models only, 750 and 800
Holleys are meant for whatever you want to put them on... it doesn't care whether its a bowtie or an oval under it.
Crossram is neat, again, not for a "barely streetable" street motor...
Build the bottom end as strong as you want, you still need an end goal before doing so or your just chasing your tail.
Buy some books, here are some excellent ones you can look into
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Chevy-Small-Blocks-Budget-Performance/dp/1932494847/ref=la_B001JOWD4M_1_1/191-2224904-9476233?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413429938&sr=1-1

David Vizard's How to Build Horsepower (S-A Design): David Vizard: 9781934709177: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Read-And-Write-Developmentally/dp/0935989870

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Horsepower-Carburetors-Manifolds/dp/1613250290/ref=la_B001JOWD4M_1_6/191-2224904-9476233?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413429938&sr=1-6

Amazon.com: David Vizard: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Start here, these 5 will get you on the right track

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Qjets are great, for someone with a deep pool of knowledge to tune one for a "barely streetable" combo....no offense meant, but you don't fall into that category. Oh and 2 models only, 750 and 800
Holleys are meant for whatever you want to put them on... it doesn't care whether its a bowtie or an oval under it.
Crossram is neat, again, not for a "barely streetable" street motor...
Build the bottom end as strong as you want, you still need an end goal before doing so or your just chasing your tail.
Buy some books, here are some excellent ones you can look into
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Chevy-Small-Blocks-Budget-Performance/dp/1932494847/ref=la_B001JOWD4M_1_1/191-2224904-9476233?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413429938&sr=1-1

David Vizard's How to Build Horsepower (S-A Design): David Vizard: 9781934709177: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Read-And-Write-Developmentally/dp/0935989870

How to Build Horsepower, Volume 2: Carburetors and Intake Manifolds: David Vizard: 9781613250297: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: David Vizard: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Start here, these 5 will get you on the right track
Them are some nice books.I want to have motor sitting in garage ready to drop in.You never know what you may run across,and knowing you already have a motor is great.I think im gonna find some books.I want a pre 95 block to start with.I got 305 in my boat,and really want to pull it,put 5.7,but going to run it till she blows.I've heard to much bad about the 305's in cars,but think these marine ones hold up pretty good.Once i find a block ill start new thread.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tr s are not a good place to learn carb tuning. your debate should be single plane or dual plane?
While your on the subject,witch one single or double is better for street?I'm curious,or does brand,and build have a factor?Theres some nice performers out there that seem like they flow better than a high rise,but that high rise look nice.I guess single,double depends on carbs also.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I use a single plane because my engine is a little bigger and I can rev 7k. There are several intakes to choose from and it depends on your supporting equipment. any flat tappet cam go dual plane. Start debate here
what engine are you building?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never built a motor before,but got hell of a machine shop like 3 blocks away.I'll probaly end up building 355,because i've seen them get it.Seems like good site here.Most sites i run across are dead or on the verge of it.I used to like the transam cars,around late 80's models.My dads had couple,and i totaled one,but now they just dont look as slick as they use to.The last one my dad had we picked up for 900.just had new rebuild,and run hot.Guy thought he had it bored too much,well we looked under it,and seen it didn't have the air scoop thing that pushed air up,and had aftermarket fan,we already knew what was wrong because we had one before,got original fan,and the air surrond thing,and run cool.Thanks guys,and be patent with me just collecting data,and figuring out what to build,and parts i need.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the first part you need is the car
I wish i had money for car,and motor,i seem to like to do 10 things at once,thats why i want to do motor first,I want to build it where i could also though in my boat just incase,by just switching cam.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
bad plan. Get the car first,make it nice,make it safe,,,then stuff an engine in it. Nothing worse than having a 375 horse sbc sitting in a box and you get a deal on a 67 Mustang fast back!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bad plan. Get the car first,make it nice,make it safe,,,then stuff an engine in it. Nothing worse than having a 375 horse sbc sitting in a box and you get a deal on a 67 Mustang fast back!
Not a fan of ford,but wouldn't mind putting a 302chevy in a stang just to show off.My buddie has 49 ford,and guess whats under the hood 350.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Theres a 77 Camaro at my track with a 383 (dodge). He did it because he can. No advantages to that type of swap anymore. There are tonnes of good Ford parts now,,,ever get spanked by a 5.0?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Theres a 77 Camaro at my track with a 383 (dodge). He did it because he can. No advantages to that type of swap anymore. There are tonnes of good Ford parts now,,,ever get spanked by a 5.0?
Yeah stock 5.0's get the stock camaro's almost everytime,but you know how it go's,gm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts