Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I had a kenwood ddx6906s deck in my coupe with alpine amps the stereo works like it should
Tell I use my cruise control I baught it off of Dakota digital and I have a ls dbw motor in my coupe so
I had to add relays to make the cruise work properly.
So I hit the set cruise button the stereo stops playing music then I noticed if I hit the set button again and some times a few times the stereo starts playing again but a lot louder then when it stopped the first time.
If checked if it’s putting the amps in protect mode and they are not just the deck volume stops and if I shut off the deck and restart it works again tell I hit the set button again and some times when running the electric window that has no relays to operate it does the same thing.
I had a relay on my head lights for high and low beam it would also make it stop working so I pulled the relays off of the lights.
My car I wired it like it’s a fiberglass car power to fuse box distribution block so all power wires are on a lug and I put another power lug on passenger side of the car off the lug on the drivers side .
I’ve did the same to acc power and grounds also tied together on lugs.

Things I’ve done
I’ve ran a wire directly to the battery to the deck to see if that would help
I’ve took a power wire off the battery to the remote power wire to the amps thanking they might of went into protect mode that still didn’t work
I’ve ran another ground wire from the battery to the deck still same thing
I also ran a ground from the battery thanking maybe needed a better body ground it didn’t work
Any ideas ?
Thank you everyone sorry it’s so long winded Kelly

Im stumped next thing I’m going to try is run a different battery power wire to see if it still trips

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well I went out to the car and used another 12 volt battery to power the deck and it still shut off the volume tell I restarted the deck

I’ve hooked up the cruise switch like this

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rule number one when running into electrical problems......"what was the last thing I did to the car?" if all was well prior to the change.

That includes mechanical, body and electrical work. Undo what the last thing you did and see if the symptoms are the same or the stereo acts as it should. Go on from there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Ford blue blood the stereo was one of the last things I added and when I added it this problem has been their

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the stereo completely shut off then back on? Or does the stereo have power, just no volume?
The deck has power and it doesn’t flicker or any thing
just the volume stops like you hit mute and I noticed when I hit the cruise set button another time or two the volume comes Back louder then before .
Almost like using a line signal booster or something
And when I restart the deck the volume will be back to normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel like you are potentially back feeding the stereo some how. Double/triple check all of your wiring and component layout. Even with a separate feed from battery leads to believe that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel like you are potentially back feeding the stereo some how. Double/triple check all of your wiring and component layout. Even with a separate feed from battery leads to believe that.
I’ve ran a separate battery to power the deck and it still did the same thing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, just the power, what if it’s back feeding a speaker wire, input, remote, or something else. Disconnect everything except the power and ground on the stereo. Add one item (speaker, remote, rca jacks if you have them) at a time and test with the switches that are causing the symptoms. You will know which item (if any) is causing the issue.
I’ve ran a separate battery to power the deck and it still did the same thing

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All my speakers are ran off of my amps.
so I use the rca outs going to Amps.
the way if boosts the volume I was thanking rcas some how.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are the RCA cables coiled up near other wires for the relays? What about near the relays themselves? It could be that you are inducing a current into them (though I think the cables are shielded) it’s an idea anyways.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are the RCA cables coiled up near other wires for the relays? What about near the relays themselves? It could be that you are inducing a current into them (though I think the cables are shielded) it’s an idea anyways.
Relays are in kick panel and rca and speaker wires are along drivers side 6” from edge of rockers and cross over under drivers petals. No other wires with them power and ground and remote turn on is down the center of the car.
I sure the rca’s are shielded they was like$100 or more for them I payed way to much for them I thank.
I haven’t had a chance to look at the car yet.
I’m going to have lots of time here in Washington state us union carpenters are on strike starting tomorrow

·
Registered
158 Posts
Almost all car decks made since the early 2000s use a 12-volt interrupt line that is a mute for external phone systems. If yours has it, on Kenwood decks it's often a brown wire. When it goes positive it produces the same effect that you're seeing - it mutes all the audio. I would look closely to see if that wire is on your deck and if you have accidentally wired it into your system somehow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Almost all car decks made since the early 2000s use a 12-volt interrupt line that is a mute for external phone systems. If yours has it, on Kenwood decks it's often a brown wire. When it goes positive it produces the same effect that you're seeing - it mutes all the audio. I would look closely to see if that wire is on your deck and if you have accidentally wired it into your system somehow.
Thank you I will look tomorrow. But I don’t thank it’s hooked up. But if that will be a easy fix

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thank you I will look tomorrow. But I don’t thank it’s hooked up. But if that will be a easy fix
Just as a small correction, upon thinking about this I am pretty sure that the mute wire is a ground switched wire for most systems. Meaning it's meant to be switched to ground to indicate that audio should be muted. Either way, definitely check that it isn't getting signal. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got out In The shop today.
I added some ground to body points.
just because I didn’t have any since everything was connected in series I thank is the word.
I then checked it still was doing the same thing
So I decided to swap relays then it stopped doing it.
so I had a bad relay on the cruise control.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts