Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a turbo 350 that runs well for the most part. If I leave it in drive everything is fine, no funny shifting or slipping. If I take off from first and go through each gear everything works fine. It's only when I stay in second gear to get it to slow the car down. If I use it for that then it just doesn't engage second gear, or at least not right away. On a steep downhill it takes a while but it will eventually engage and slow the car down. If I am just in second gear and coasting or trying to use it to slow down then press on the gas it rev's up as if it were in neutral until I get to the rpm's that would match the speed for second gear, then it will move the car. It does have a shift kit in it, but I followed those instructions exact, but I have never heard of anything like this happening with shift kits. I don't know how the transmission ran before I put the shift kit in. Also, I have a 1500 stall converter. Any information would help.

Brad

·
Administrator
9,809 Posts
the tranny is in second gear when all of this coasting is happening.

the coasting band is not functioning correctly. the coasting band gives you the engine braking.

if the shift improvements were recent I would suspect a problem happened when the valve body was removed. The servo for the band is under the v-body.

Did you have trouble with the servo when the v-body was removed?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts