Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
eat a beaver, save a tree
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 85 SS Monte Carlo. the wipers are doing some weird stuff.

what it's doing is after the wipers are turned on they don't stop when they are turned off. they just keep going on & on until the power is interrupted (like unplugging the switch on the column, or turning the ignition switch off). i thought it was in the switch on the column but it wasn't. if the delay function works the wipers will turn off like they should, but if the delay doesn't work they will not turn off. That's what makes me think it might be a relay. I really don't know, I'm just guessing.

do these cars have any kind of relay to the wipers, or the pulse on the delay?

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
They are not getting a "PARK" signal

The guy that rebuilt my old motor told me something to the effect.

when it is turned off--a set of contacts (like points) close, activates a cam,
for the park mech., when the wipers "PARK", the points open and kills the motor.

This was on my very old wipers----but even watching the wipers on the newer cars---they do the same thing.

If you can take it apart---have a looksee to see how they work.
I took another old one apart to watch----weird.

Bryan

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Look for a Shorted GROUND on the Low Speed or Intermittent wire from the switch, This will hold the motor High in an "Off" State and keep it running.

Most all of the Speed control is selected by switching the grounds on those motors , PROVIDED, the motor has a DIRECT connection to the Switched Fuse buss and goes through no switching..( Motor Terminal " HOT IN RUN ONLY" )

If your motor is this configuration (and most are..) , you can pull the plug on the motor and test each pin with a ground wire, IF IT CYCLES ONCE AND STOPS AFTER Removing the ground wire, you have a harness short , IF it continues to run ( motor has separate ground) then suspect the limit switches as Bryan outlined.

Doc :pimp:

·
eat a beaver, save a tree
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
docvette said:

If your motor is this configuration (and most are..) , you can pull the plug on the motor and test each pin with a ground wire, IF IT CYCLES ONCE AND STOPS AFTER Removing the ground wire, you have a harness short , IF it continues to run ( motor has separate ground) then suspect the limit switches as Bryan outlined.

if i pull the plug off the motor how could it run at all? the plug is where it gets the juice from isn't it?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

The answer to your question, was, the power and speed control are usually separate plugs....power is constant with the key on.

Glad to hear it's running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.