Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems welding black pipe from Home Depo. We cleaned it with acetone and still get bubbles in the welds. Switch to the pipe from a vendor I usually use and we were fine. We torched the Home Depo pipe red hot and it welded fine once cleaned. We are installing a roll cage in a 4x4 and the customer brought his own pipe.

Bob

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Are you trying to kill your self or someone else? Why weld it, why not buy the fittings and screw it together? Why not exhaust tubing?

How many other potentional customers are going to looking at your death trap and wondering... why oh why?

Force the customer to use at least H or E tubing and not water pipes.

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Two thing I can think of not clean enough or there is impurity in the steel. Some of the foreign steel is like that it has a coating on it to keep it from rusting when they ship it back. I don't think I would use black pipe on a roll cage anyway.

when you heat up the steel your burning away the impurities

Craig

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
johnsongrass1 said:
Are you trying to kill your self or someone else? Why weld it, why not buy the fittings and screw it together? Why not exhaust tubing?

How many other potentional customers are going to looking at your death trap and wondering... why oh why?

Force the customer to use at least H or E tubing and not water pipes.

LOL,
I saw a roll cage build with water pipe on a old Dodge power wagon it kinda fit the army style truck. He was trying to be safe. Could see it coming a part first good flip. Horse Power TV extreme 4x4 has a good show on how to build a roll cage and what tubing to use should check it out.

Craig

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you are quite right

Our employee was not aware of where the customer came up with the pipe. It was his job to bend it and weld it. In the past we have always used tubing from a steel vendor for the purpose of roll cages. This customer did not want to pay the price for our pipe and brought his own. When our employee started having problems we started asking questions of the customer. We should have asked up front. New rule is our tubing or get it done elsewhere! The reason I posted this is to help others not to make the same mistake we did and to let people know there is a great difference in pipe quality. We try hard not to make such mistakes and we are lucky we caught this one early. We rely heavily on our vendors to supply us with quality products and they do. I think you are right about why it would not take a quality weld.

Bob

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Quarter Flash said:
Our employee was not aware of where the customer came up with the pipe. It was his job to bend it and weld it. In the past we have always used tubing from a steel vendor for the purpose of roll cages. This customer did not want to pay the price for our pipe and brought his own. When our employee started having problems we started asking questions of the customer. We should have asked up front. New rule is our tubing or get it done elsewhere! The reason I posted this is to help others not to make the same mistake we did and to let people know there is a great difference in pipe quality. We try hard not to make such mistakes and we are lucky we caught this one early. We rely heavily on our vendors to supply us with quality products and they do. I think you are right about why it would not take a quality weld.

Bob
I hope you make your customer sign I legal waver so he does not try to sue you after he is paralyzed flipping his truck and the cage did nothing! :nono:

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
water pipe & roll cage .................... oxymoron.
oh yes he did say black pipe that is for gas.............................
black pipe and roll cage ........... oxymoron

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pipe

After reading what you have had to say its either our vendor for the metal or we will not do the job. We don't do a lot of this stuff and this one is a relative of the employee working on the vehicle. I really appreciate all the information you provide. Thank You

Bob

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Black pipe is just that...pipe....it is designed to transport gases not meant for structural use.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
weirdbeard said:
I hope you make your customer sign I legal waver so he does not try to sue you after he is paralyzed flipping his truck and the cage did nothing! :nono:
That don't mean nothing other than you were aware that you knew it was unsafe but chose to make as safe you knew how. Which still made you liable. you knew it wasn't possible to make safe...at least as safe as the correct materials.

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Hey Guys when you got guys working for you they should know what to do, but thats does not always happens.

In the old day if a customer came in with his own pipe he bore responsibly for having the correct materials. Not the builder, But now days its a different story.
Sounds like by the time they found out it was Home Depot Pipe and it was not able to weld it they were almost done. Now if this was a race car deal you would have to start all over for sure or add more support. At this point you could tell the customer you can't be held responsible for the quality of the pipe and sign off on it. Second if he would not sign off then you have to start over.

when I had my welding shop you get it all the time people bring in all kinds of stuff they want welded. But everything you do is subject to some weld breaking and you suffer by having you liable insurance go up. So if you get sued that's when it get ugly and the crap roll down hill to the last guy in the line.
I think the question about welding black pipe was answered. I assume the reason for the question was to discover what there option were with this customers black pipe and the cost already involved for sure I see this its how he will deal with the customer to finish the project.

I would be interested in the out come because every state has laws regarding fabrication.
When I live in Colorado there was no inspection on welding I had a guy fab up the basement columns with the adjustment tops and the weld were full of pin hole. I took them back and said these were crap. The owner told me take it or leave it. I said how do you expect then to pass inspection, He said know ones had a problem with his work. I was from California so everything is inspected. So I took them back to my shop and re welded then the right way.
So its a funny thing doing work for people.

SO hang in there Bob

Craig

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So, if I'm reading this right, you guys wouldn't be pleased with a roll cage made from salvaged EMT, even if it's 3/4"?

I can remember my days working at a service station after school. There wasn't a week that went by without someone showing up with a worn-out tire, tread barely visible, saying, "Well, just patch it. I don't drive very fast."

Maybe the Home Depot bargain bin black pipe is for someone who doesn't drive very fast. Y'know, they could intend to only roll over very carefully and gently.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
A friend of mine wanted a roll cage for his car and said he was thinking about using exhaust tubing. I asked him why he thought that was a good idea and he said his "moms co-worker suggested it". Thankfully I convinced him that was not a good idea...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts