Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, the info i'm recieving from this is getting me well on my way. Thank you to any and all who has helped me out.My question is for demensions, or pictures, or drawings.I was emailed chassis demensions already that will do the trick. Thank you again.Me being a welder fabricator i would prefer to make my own metal brackets and hangers if you can understand.Aside from crawling under someones car on the street with a measuring tape,pad, and pencil iwould like all info on rear 4 bar mounts, shock mounts,cross member ect if posible.This will help keep me with in my budget.Thanks again all.:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Working on Willys and '36 Pontiac, I too have become 'Bracket Man'! Can't you just make patterns from cardboard or plywood of the correct thickness? For example, in my journal I show the 3/8" plywood pattern I made for mounting disk brakes to my Willys spindles.
The pattern.

The rough bracket made form the pattern.

The finished product.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Slippry said:
My question is for demensions, or pictures, or drawings. [snip] Aside from crawling under someones car on the street with a measuring tape,pad, and pencil iwould like all info on rear 4 bar mounts,...[snip]
This is really quite difficult to answer or provide you any assistance. Nearly every bracket or mount on your rod will most likely turn out to be "custom" in terms of height, width, and depth. This is because of differences in rod end widths, installation angles, existing attachment points and a whole host of other variables. Once you have all your parts bought and mocked up, the bracket dimensions will become pretty self evident. And like Willys suggests, make templates first - either out of cardboard or plywood.

If you run into a snag or question on a specific mount - post a pic/question and hopefully somebody can help you out with it. Also, you asked about 4-bar mounts etc. Lots of good 4-bar info on this site already...just use the search function and the knowledge base. If you still have unanswered questions after reading all that info - then post your specific questions.

Dewey

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
You may want to buy a book on chassis design. It will hit all the points regarding the Instant Center of the vehicle. There is more to it than just cutting and welding up a bracket. Case in point, If the instant center is too far forward, the rear end will hop HARD under acceleration. Too far back, rip rear ends out. If your building your own, you need to know the principles. $20.00 won't break the budget. Try Amazon.com after doing a few websearches.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts