Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be welding some patches in my floor pan and I'm going to have to be in the car to do it. This is my first attempt at welding but I had a profesional welder show me how to a few years ago but I can't quite remeber everything. What I want to know is will I hurt myself being on what I'm welding?

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
I'm sure you must have taken out the seats and carpet where you are welding. Make sure your burn through isn't contacting with a fuel line or any thing else that might burn. Have a spray bottle ready to put out fires. Clean the metal so you get good penetration while welding. I've used a 4" tiger disk on a hand grinder. Use a fan to blow the fumes out of the car. Wear protective clothing and #10 lens works best for me. Those are some of my suggestions.
:cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fourbyfourblazer said:
I'm sure you must have taken out the seats and carpet where you are welding. Make sure your burn through isn't contacting with a fuel line or any thing else that might burn. Have a spray bottle ready to put out fires. Clean the metal so you get good penetration while welding. I've used a 4" tiger disk on a hand grinder. Use a fan to blow the fumes out of the car. Wear protective clothing and #10 lens works best for me. Those are some of my suggestions.
:cool:
Yeah, the car has been gutted. Pardon my ignorance but is there any chance of me getting electrocuted?

·
Registered
654 Posts
No such thing as an ignorant question. Stay out of water, keep the ground attached properly and you should be fine. Wear proper protective clothing and leather boots so you don't get burned. Practice on some scrap pieces first to get the amperage set properly so you don't burn through the floor or patches.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
'60buickrod said:
is there any chance of me getting electrocuted?
Make sure you wear protective gloves and long sleeve shirt. If you did get shocked it wouldn't kill you. Make you dance like James Brown for a second.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be sure to set up a camcorder just in case:thumbup:

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
in case people want to know what happened when they find you burnt to the floorboard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's a lincoln 225 stick

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Your not going to stick weld panels in your car, are you?
Stick welding is for structural steel not for autobody repair. Get a mig welder with a gas setup from
Lincoln or Miller .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to be getting the stitch welder from eastwood to do it.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Oh cool. I didn't realize there was an add on for the arc welder. Always something to learn here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Now i kinda feel bad for ignoring stick welders ever since high school. I got an A one semester and never messed with arc welding again. TIG welding is so nice and I can sit and weld all day with the air conditioning and radio blasting away, snug in my adjustable chair.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A simple answer. No, you will not get electricuted, just don't pee on it:thumbup: Just kidding about the pee part. No you will not get electricuted. I work in a shop where guys weld on steel benches all day long. Doesn't work that way. Even with a stitch welder...Hmmmmmm.....I wonder about welding thin sheetmetal..Hmmmm. Let us know if it burns through too much or not.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sure will, I have found an parts car for it so depending on if I get it I might be able to use an original floorpan instead of trying to bend a new one:thumbup:

·
Registered
174 Posts

You'll be alright. I just got finished doing everything you're worried about, and I didn't have a clue either. :thumbup:

You got it man.

MoocH

·
Registered
190 Posts
I welded the chopped top on my panel truck with a stick welder. That was many years ago (30+) I would use a TIG welder today, but back then that's all I had. It worked fine, just had to use a think rod, low amperage setting and go slow, short stitch welds and pack the metal with wet rags to keep it as cool as possible.
There's allot of sheet metal to weld on a panel truck top, never had a crack in the paint job .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts