Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question that almost seems to answer itself. But.....

My exhaust system was finished before I had a brainstorm.
I need to move my mufflers back about 6-8 inches to give me a long enough straight length to weld in an 'H' pipe section. Unfortunately, when I do this I move beyond my rear muffler hanger framework. I can make up a extensions but it might look like a cobbled mess. Another way would be to weld a hanger arrangement on the Flowmasters then to my existing hangers. Has anyone ever welded on muffler bodys, particularly, Flowmasters? :pain:

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
My next door neighbors in the muffler shop weld on those all the time.
They are painted, aluminized 16 gauge steel. (most muffler tubing is aluminized also, requires no special treatment to weld)

Later,
Mikey

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
powerrodsmike said:
My next door neighbors in the muffler shop weld on those all the time.
They are painted, aluminized 16 gauge steel. (most muffler tubing is aluminized also, requires no special treatment to weld)

Later,
Mikey
Thought so - thanks Mikey

·
Banned
54 Posts
Going to weld to my flowmaster this week, and will report back with a 2011 awnser on how it works with a MIG welder.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
GMMAN said:
Going to weld to my flowmaster this week, and will report back with a 2011 awnser on how it works with a MIG welder.
After five years, 11-02-2006 04:22 PM , I think he´s found a solution. :D :D

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I did, then about 2 weeks ago, cut those brackets off for heat shields:

BEFORE

AFTER

The strap screws will be moved to the top as soon as I can get the car higher or on a lift for 10 minutes or so

Dave W

1 - 6 of 6 Posts