Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few rust holes in the rear fender about the size of the eraser on a pencil or just a little larger, they were smaller but after sanding they grew, if i weld them shut would there be adverse problems, or would it be better to use chopped fiberglass filler?

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
I know you probably don't want to hear this but it is very difficult to weld up rust holes. I have found out that rust holes just get bigger from welding. I wouldn't try to fill them with fiberglass either, glass and steel just don't like each other and they will eventually seperate. The best alternative would be to cut out the rust and weld in a piece of metal.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
onebadmerc said:
I know you probably don't want to hear this but it is very difficult to weld up rust holes. I have found out that rust holes just get bigger from welding. I wouldn't try to fill them with fiberglass either, glass and steel just don't like each other and they will eventually seperate. The best alternative would be to cut out the rust and weld in a piece of metal.
well my question was becuase i allready welded one or two and there were a few more....i took out all the thin stuff when i was sanding, so what was left was fine to weld to, just wondering if the welded will rust bad/worse

·
Registered
495 Posts
Phosphric acid also called magneesium phosphtae OK my spelling sucks but they will eat rust away, put it on let it stand then scrub it with a brush, it might take a little time and more than one application but it will eat every bit of rust. Then weld in your patch and prime the area and you will have no problems with it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts