Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 16 year old just rear ended an SUV a little bit ago on his way to school, totally his fault and at the exact same spot he got rear ended last fall. He was looking over at one of his friends as he drove by and didn't see the SUV stopped to turn in time. :pain: Thankfully no one was hurt, the SUV will need a new bumper cover and that's about it, his car is repairable but will need a little porta power work on the core support, a new hood, grille, lights and bumper cover but at least nobody was hurt and the cop has a teenage boy his age so he got the other driver to agree to no ticket as long as we take care of the repairs on her vehicle. I just drove his car home and the wife took him on to school. I was praying the whole way that the hood wouldn't fly open!

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
I am glad that the cop and the other party were understanding. I am also glad that no one was hurt. This may just be a very important lesson for your son....I hope so.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,329 Posts
When I think of the things I did with a car when I was 16, now at 48 I REALLY wonder if it is the right thing to do to let them drive at all!

They are JUST NOT mature enough to be given that responsibility.

That being said, he is 16, he learned a valuable lesson without injury.

Brian

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't be mad at him, it was one of those dumb things I see "mature" drivers do 20 times a day going to and from work. He doesn't tear around like an idiot and people have commented that they DON'T see him doing dumb stuff or speeding plus he has actually been taking good care of this car. He just wasn't paying attention and it bit him. He is VERY upset with himself, he said he's never driving again, he will but I bet he's a LOT more careful. Fortunately his job is only a block from the house.

I already have a Corsica parts car located, he has a Beretta and the front end is basically the same, but I think I'll hold out for a white one like his so we don't have to paint anything. They are literally EVERYWHERE around here, in fact there is a white one down the street that hasn't moved for a few weeks............ :mwink: .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well today is Not so great.

Yeah I have 7 Kidds all Grown but the youngest boy . Argghhhhhh Been there done that ! I was kidd that wrecked a Car ! And im the proud parent of a Kidd's that have wrecked Car's ? Fortunate enough too not have seriously injured other parties . One of my Buddies not so Fortunate , Lost his Daughter , His son was drivin ! all I can say is I really stress too my Kidd's all there freinds, whom I usually wrench on there Car's . The only option is there is no option ! You cant take some thing's back in life ! Odd's are totally against you ! As men it's your moral obligation too provide a safe enviroment . As Women it's your moral responsibility too protect children . Gladd it wasnt a tragedy . With the Boy's I tell um the whole Car love affair , is over minute somebody's hurt, or worse . Never be the same afterward's !Protect it ! Cherish it ! Dont be the one too mess it up ! Hopefully they get it ? I think it help's if Kidds have a Laborous investement in there car's , as well as financial investement . I probably would have let the boy stay home for the day . So I could lecture him 12 hour's straight . <<, Not sure if it work's ? But it's great for my Ego and peace of mind . Wich I have none ? Peace , or a mind ! I got 7 kidd's ? Oldest Boy I call Lucky . Cause he seem's too think his is never gonna run out . Sean

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Just be thankful no one was hurt! Its all a learning curve at that age,Heck when i was 16 i rolled my dads truck ..... My butt hurt more than the dent in the roof.... Again a learning curve.. i learned that my dads hand hurt more than the bump on my head!

(I was kinda checkin out a boy when i rolled it)Totally innocently of course!!!

Pup

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Hippie said:
I can't be mad at him, it was one of those dumb things I see "mature" drivers do 20 times a day going to and from work. He doesn't tear around like an idiot and people have commented that they DON'T see him doing dumb stuff or speeding plus he has actually been taking good care of this car. He just wasn't paying attention and it bit him. He is VERY upset with himself, he said he's never driving again, he will but I bet he's a LOT more careful. Fortunately his job is only a block from the house.

I already have a Corsica parts car located, he has a Beretta and the front end is basically the same, but I think I'll hold out for a white one like his so we don't have to paint anything. They are literally EVERYWHERE around here, in fact there is a white one down the street that hasn't moved for a few weeks............ :mwink: .
Thats cool to see you're rational and reasonable about what happened. That's why you give young guys cheap cars to drive! Glad to hear he's ok, I'm sure emotionally he'll bounce back soon enough, just needs to get back in the saddle-

K

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
I've done it on stop and go traffic looking at a nice pair of well you know, look back up and heck your on top of some one. Its the only lookie lou deal I've done, had 4 in my life time 2 my fault 2 not my fault. I find you get to comfortable driving and stop watch the road like you should. I have to remind my self you look away more that two sec your in the back of the guy in front of you.

The 16 year old thing is a mature think to me some kids do fine. My sons 18 and he can't drive my cars. He can't drive his truck tell he finishes it. He's not there yet. Still needs a job to pay for his ride also. But hanging with his buddies in more important right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts