Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am laying plans to put my hot rod into paint this winter. One of the things on the list is to redo the hood. It is in need of some heat shrinking and straightening. When all is done to the hood and the hood sides I would like to put some kind of protection on the edges that ride on the cowl. This is a side opening hood (46 Chevy) with separtated hood sides, they no longer go up with the hood top. I envision some kind of welting (?) that clips over the edge. Is there any such animal? What is it called? Where can I get it?

Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Robbins Racing
51 Posts
Are you looking for more of a scratch resistance or padding against vibration and closing? If you get it painted and want scratch resistance, I would look into the clear plastic film material used on bumpers/hoods to prevent rock chips. Just cut a few thin strips to wrap around the edges, that way it blends with the paint, protects, and minimal effort. You would just need to wait till the paint is fully cured. Again, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for without a picture reference, but hope it helped!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rc, thanks!!

That's not what I was looking for but it's a cool idea and I will look into it for sure. I think the "thing" I'm looking for is metal with a coating over it and I had thought to have it painted over when the hood was done. I think it clips over the edge pretty much like the old window glass in my '46 had a metal edge. I open the hood alot to check things and sometimes at shows and when I take the hood off (almost always by myself) I tend to get into the cowl...so that needs protected.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sam,
Another great idea! I can see that if I find what I'm looking for it may just be what you guys have suggested. If I remember correctly the edge gaurds are clear plastic? I may not even need to cover the entire edge just use them as a "bumper" in critical areas.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.