Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to spray a vehicle with acrylic enamel that has some mettalic in it. I know its not a good thing to wet sand mettalic but i want to get rid of any im-perfections, dust or whatever may be in the paint before spraying clear on it. Any way of doing this without messing up the mettalic in the paint? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't use a any type of single stage metallic for any high quality paint job.
I certainly would NEVER use any type of enamel. I would even choose lacquer over any kind of enamel.

Think Urethane.
A great looking metallic paint job requires a BC/CC system, or you could apply
A urethane clear over a totally CURED acrylic enamel would work, bakes that requires either baking or 8 moths of sunshine and extra sanding.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just have some clear left over and i just want to know if i could somehow get any little im-perfections out of the acrylic before applying clear. I'm just worried about screwing up the mettalic is there a way i can lightly sand the vehicle just to take out specs of dust in the paint before applying the clear. Its not a high quality paint job just want it to look as good as possible and do it cheap mostly with stuff i have left over.

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
NO, you can't do that! :nono: If you have clear already, I guess you could single-stage the car. Then after it dries sand it with 800 Grit (to get out imperfections). Then spray some base-coat color over it.(The added expense of base-coat color would be worth it :mwink: ) Then, clear it. You can not sand metallic color at all! The metallics do not allow it to happen. It could look OK, but it will not look good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts