Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I have heard of a way to wet sand late model headlight housings to get rid of the yellowed & fogged up look, rather than buying new. Any ideas out there of what grit, polishing compound, and what not to clear up "old" headlight housings?? Thanks!

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Some headlight covers yellow after a few years. To correct it, take some 400 grit sand paper, sand the covers, and use McGuire's #7 polishing compound with a buffer untill you are smooth and clear again.

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
I've done the same thing, start with 400, wet sand with 1000. I use a buffer with foam pads and polish with a cutter then a finish compound. If they get too bad you cant get all the yellow out but they will be much improved. Polishing them before they get bad will keep them nice longer.

·
Drive it Like u Stole it!
163 Posts
and if you REALLY want to get cheap about it, good ole toothpaste will work wonders (not to mention leaving it minty fresh smelling!). i've used toothpaste before with good results, as well as rubbing compound - both work equally well. if you dont have a polisher handy, be prepared to exert some elbow power to get the haze away....

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Yes..the rubbing compund works...LOTS OF RUBBING, but if you don't have a buffer its a lot better than leaving them yellow.

late 80-early90s Fords seem to be bad about yellowing. Are other brands as well?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dodge/plymouth/Chrysler's can get REAL bad...our 1991 Van was horrible. My 1991 Mustang is needing some cleaning up....thanks guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This must be pretty common to have the solutions you guys have. The car is a 91 Plymouth Acclaim transportation car. Sounds like I'll be having this saturday booked, buffing headlights. Did someone really say toothpaste?? :confused: I'll give it a try tonight, then break out the sandpaper, buffer and compound on saturday.
I tried a lexan polish, but all that did was wipe off bug guts. Elbow grease sounds like is where it's at.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Eastwood makes a polishing kit.
Essentially you sand and polish just like paint finishing.

My 98 Mark 8 has clear coat on the lenses.

I guess after polishing a good clear coat would help, huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts